DVD --> DPG

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Satangel, Dec 22, 2008.

Dec 22, 2008

DVD --> DPG by Satangel at 1:59 PM (2,676 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Does anyone know how to rip a movie from a DVD and then convert it to DPG?

2. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    To do this you need a program to take the DVD off the disc and put it on the hard drive (I use DVD Shrink - works for most DVD's) and one to convert to .dpg (I use Super as it is a one click solution)

Install DVD Shrink and Super onto your PC (use google to find - both free)

First you need to get the DVD on to your hard drive, Start DVD Shrink and insert a DVD into your computer (don’t play it). To make thinks easier at this point go in to the menu at the top and select

Edit – Preferences – Output Files – and un tick the option Split VOB files into 1GB chunks, then select OK
    This means that your movie will be in one piece rather than in separate bits and will not have to be joined together later.

Now use the open disc button in the top left (select OK in the box that appears) and the program will scan the disc to see what is on it (takes about 1 min).
    When finished you will need to select the re author button, this is where you select the bit of the movie you want (i.e only the main feature not all the menus and extras). Click on the bit you want (usually the largest file under the Main Feature on the left and drag it across to the other side and drop it there (under DVD Structure), now click Backup from the top menu. It will then ask you where to put the movie, select / remember where it is going to be and click OK – the movie will now be backed up onto your hard drive (takes about 15 mins).

The movie is now on the hard drive and needs to be converted into a dpg file, to do this start the SUPER program. This may come up with some problems on its initial start up (memory too small etc, ignore these but if you have a better PC use that!

This program is not over friendly to use but needs very few settings changed to work successfully.

In the top left of the program you will see a drop down box, labelled Output Container, drop this down and select Nintendo – DS (dpg) near the bottom. This has set the format for the movie.

Next you need to put the movie to be converted into the program – In the bottom box (below streaming Link) right click, at the top of this menu is add multimedia file, Click this and select where you put your movie from DVD shrink, the file you want is the large VOB file, located in the VIDEO folder. Once selected this has added the file to be converted. The last task is to put the movie once converted somewhere where you can find it, right click the box again (below Streaming Link) select Output File Saving Management, Double click where you want the file to go, (or tick the box Save each output file in its respective source files folder/directory and it will go into the folder with the vob file) save changes.

To start converting by pressing Encode – and wait about 45 mins for a film, but this is dependant on how quick your PC is, however for ages it will look like nothing is happening don't worry just leave it to continue.

Once converted rename the file to the film name (don’t forget to add .dpg at the end) put on the SD card and away you go.

3. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Super doesn't work here.
    I'm on Vista, it just won't start here. Tried everything.

Do you know any other good program that does the same?

4. Kittymat

United Kingdom
    Several people I know are running Super on Vista - just make sure you get the latest version and completely uninstall the old version if you have it.

5. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Do you have a link to that newest Super? I can't seem to download it from the official site.

6. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Get BatchDPG. It may be a bit slower, but its quality is much better.

7. Kittymat

United Kingdom
    To download SUper, you have to go through pages and pages of info, some looking the same.

http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

Bottom of this page is says Download super set up file in blue!

Batch DPG may make a bit better files but Super is a one click solution

8. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    It doesn't work here [​IMG]
    I have Vista 64bit, and it doesn't work.
    I've tried running as Administrator and compatibility, still doesn't work.

I want a one click solution, not BatchDPG.

Thanks for the help Kittymat!

9. ashxu

Member ashxu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Does it appear in your task bar (and only there?) That happens to me, you have to wait awhile. (Don't just sit there, do something else while your waiting, it might be 1-2min)

10. falcon64z8

Member falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Does dvd shrink allows you to take dvd of tv shows and put them into sections? Like you know episode 1, 2, etc. O and batch dpg is the way to go for higher quality vids.

11. Evilmaster1985

Member Evilmaster1985 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I dont think it will put them into sections. (as the output file will be 1 avi.)

To do this you will need an other program.
    I know adobe after effect will allow you to do this.
    And so can windows movie maker.

However windows movie maker really makes sucky output files.
    And After effects aint easy to use ^^ but gives good quallity output.

Greetz, Vistabuser.

12. Oli181

Newcomer Oli181 Advanced Member

Australia
  13. Kittymat

United Kingdom
    DVD shrink - when you go to re author gives you a list of what is on the DVD, usually there is one massive file (all shows together) and then several smaller ones all the episodes, but also the extras etc, when you back up your selection you can see what is happening in a preview pain, so this allows you to see what you are backing up, if you have selected the wrong one - xtras etc, just stop and select a different part.

SO yes dvd shrink lets you take episodes off a dvd, if you can work out what each one is.

14. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Nope, not even in my Task Manager....

15. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    dvd fab mobile does a decent job converting DVDs to DPG, I used it several months ago when I had an iso for Elfen Lied and I was being too lazy to do some manual work. only problem is, is that you can't really customize the quality.

16. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I'm trying it out at the moment.
    It's ripping my DVD now, and then I'll try to convert it to DPG.

EDIT:

Okay, I've ripped it from the DVD, and I've converted it to DPG.
    But the movie is split into 6 parts or so.....
    How can I merge those parts? I didn't see a setting or so that I could click to merge them.

17. calebh

Newcomer calebh Member

United States
  18. m-p{3}

Member m-p{3} GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I convert my DVDs into DivX with CloneDVD Mobile, then process them with BatchDPG.

19. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States
    check the setting for the rip and make sure you do not have marked cut into chapters or by size

I've used DVD fab a couple of times to test out on the ds but it works great for my video ipod

20. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    With the SUPER running on 64Bit, try this