Hardware Dust issues

Tsunn7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, my girlfriend complained with me about her Switch making noises and being weirdly hot.
After a short check, I noticed that her console is extremely dirty with dust on the top hole, here's a picture:

The question is... how can I clean it? I'm not good at disassembling, actually I'm afraid of doing something like that.

Last edited by Tsunn7,

bootaholic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally think you should replace thermal compound and clean. If it's getting hot that usually indicates poor thermal transfer from CPU to heat sink. I've had great success applying new thermal compound to older switches, it makes quite a difference from both a cooling aspect and can make it run a bit quicker as a result.

If you're not comfortable doing this, most electronic repair shops should be able to do this without an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bootaholic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't see the picture until now.

Definitely open it up and clean out that heat sink. No way around it really; compressed air through the fan won't help as the air inlet is not a straight through design - also this could be dangerous from an electrical standpoint, too.

Tsunn7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Didn't see the picture until now.

Definitely open it up and clean out that heat sink. No way around it really; compressed air through the fan won't help as the air inlet is not a straight through design - also this could be dangerous from an electrical standpoint, too.

Yeah, I'm going to a shop tomorrow and see if they can open and clean it up.
Pretty sure it's not a difficult task but heh, I'd rather pay someone to do it instead of risking to screw up a 250€ console

bootaholic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm going to a shop tomorrow and see if they can open and clean it up.
Pretty sure it's not a difficult task but heh, I'd rather pay someone to do it instead of risking to screw up a 250€ console
If you're not comfortable then I don't blame you. Also, specialized tools are required...

Chains

GBAtemp Drifter
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try using a toothbrush with a tiny bit of alcohol.
Opening it just leads to a chance of something breaking, and compressed air can damage the speaker cones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol