Dungeon crawlers with randomized dungeons?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by banjotron, Jul 26, 2009.

Jul 26, 2009
  1. banjotron
    OP

Newcomer banjotron Newbie

United States
    Hey. I never considered myself a fan of old school roguelikes (and their derivatives) until I picked up my DS and started playing some of the dungeon crawlers available for it. I really do like the genre now, except for one problem. Many of the DS dungeon crawlers have adopted and improved upon most aspects of the old roguelikes, except one: randomized dungeons. It really disappointed me that Etrian Odyssey 2 doesn't feature random dungeons. Their level design isn't bad, but not having random dungeons really stifles the replay value for me.

I figure there probably are a few dungeon crawlers out there for the NDS with randomized dungeons, but I simply don't know of them. I hardly have an encyclopedic knowledge of the NDS's library, which some people here do seem to have. So I'm writing this post to pick your brains. What dungeon crawlers do you know of which feature randomized dungeons?

As a side note, and this is an entirely secondary request, are there any decent dungeon-crawling hack-and-slash titles, along the vein of Diablo?

2. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Izuna series, Shiren the Wanderer series, and Chocobo Dungeon (this is Japanese but is easy without knowing any)

3. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Obviously.

4. ZonMachi

Member ZonMachi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Powder [Homebrew] has random dungeon. Though it also have random items too.

5. kalmis

Member kalmis GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    The Dark Sprire, great old school dungeon crawler. Doesn't have random dungeons but will keep you busy for long time.

6. kennypu

Member kennypu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The pokemon mystery dungeon series for something over-rated, yet fun.
    Shiren the Wanderer, which is one of my personal favorite and I believe one of the best/challenging.