Hacking Dumping Own Games

macgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in getting a flash cart for my DS, but had a question. I don't want to deal with murky waters that is downloading ROMs from the internet and I only plan to play games I physically own--so is there a way to rip DS or GBA games using any of the flashcart/rumble pack combos?

Thanks.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you get an R4, M3, or CycloDS Evolution (there's more, but those are the only three I can personally guarantee), there's a utility that allows you to dump your own games provided that you have access to a personal wireless router.

It's called "NDS Backup Tool Wifi".

Please note that those are all Slot-1 devices. I don't know if it'll work with a Slot-2.

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an EZ Flash 3 in 1, and I must say Rudolph's NDS Backup Tool is simple, and worked wonders when I needed it.

It can also dump the saves off official carts!
Then just run the freshly dumped .sav through Savegames Converter* and you're good to go.

* - Source format = RAW Format(.sav)
Target Format = Whatver slot1 cart you have

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have wi-fi capability on your PC? (802.11a or g)

Then it's simple. Just use Rudolph's DSROMDumpers.

http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/nds...l_Wifi_031e.zip

This is the one for dumping via wi-fi. He wrote two others that work with Slot-2 (GBA) cartridges but I haven't tried them.

These tools will let you dump not only the ROM from a DS but the savegame file from the commercial cartridge and restore the savegame as well.

I'm using it with an R4 but I'm sure it works with other flash carts.

I haven't tried dumping my own GBA ROMs.

striderx

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well you need a wifi connection a a slot-1 card such as an R4 or a DSTT, one preferably with auto-DLDI patching. I actually had to do this recently, as I wanted to use pokesav on my Pearl, but this works for dumping roms as well.

This was the guide that I used: http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1942
This should help

Oh and you should note, dumping a rom does take a long time, and if thats an issue, there is an alternative method that also requires a slot-2 card.

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an EZ Flash 3 in 1, and I must say Rudolph's NDS Backup Tool is simple, and worked wonders when I needed it.

It can also dump the saves off official carts!
Then just run the freshly dumped .sav through Savegames Converter* and you're good to go.

* - Source format = RAW Format(.sav)
Target Format = Whatver slot1 cart you have

What a swarm of replies, huh?
smile.gif

ZML... The copy of Rudolphs NDS Backup Tool WiFi in the gbatemp download are is a few versions out of date. My link takes you to the most current one on his website.

FYI...

striderx

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to have a PC, do you?  I have a Mac.

It shouldn't matter whether it's a Mac or PC. You just need to launch an FTP server on the computer side for the DS to connect to. The SaveConverter that ZML linked to is actually a web-based application. The conversion is done by a sever-side application, not client-side so I suspect the type of computer is irrelevent. It should work equally well for Windows, Mac, Linux, Amiga, you name it...

Good luck!

striderx

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
What a swarm of replies, huh?Â
smile.gif

ZML... The copy of Rudolphs NDS Backup Tool WiFi in the gbatemp download are is a few versions out of date. My link takes you to the most current one on his website.

FYI...

striderx
Ah, good show.
I couldn't remember if the one here was up to date or not, but it worked fine for me the few times I needed it.

Anywho, best of luck to you, mac.
grog.gif

macgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all. Anyone know the answer to this:

Great--thanks! Anyone know if the non-wifi tool works with the slot 2 thing that comes with the DSTT?

striderx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all. Anyone know the answer to this:

Great--thanks! Anyone know if the non-wifi tool works with the slot 2 thing that comes with the DSTT?

I don't know... It could, because it's supposed to perform most of the same functions as the EZFlash 3-in-1. Rudolph has a 3-in1 Backup as well as a Slot-2 backup utility. The 3-in-1 recently had a change in the EEPROM and he had to rewrite his 3-in-1 tool to work (rumble, RAM and Slot-2 launching of GBA ROMS). So I've got to believe that having the DSTT Slot-2 cartridge work with Rudolphs' legacy code would be too much to expect.

I could be wrong though. But I have a friend that's traveling to Hong Kong this month and that's on my list of goodies for him to bring back. When he returns I'll let you know.

striderx

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used the slot-2 version on my Supercard miniSD and it worked fine. My guess is that it won't work with the DSTT slot-2 addon, but you could try it if you want. Otherwise you'll need to use the Wifi version connected to an FTP server running on the host computer (Mac, PC, shouldn't matter)

mcsenerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Macguy...I can tell you it works flawlessly with the built-in FTP server in Mac OS 10.4.11 because I'm dumping one of my ROMs as I type this. Works great! Just enable your FTP server under the Sharing applet in System Preferences... Edit the .ini file to include the shortname from your user account along with your password...and voila! You're cooking...

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think you can dump games with the DSTT's slot-2 device, as there's no NOR flash. You can't do it yet, anyway.

The fastest way is to get a slot-2 card that supports DLDI (SuperCard, M3, etc.). Next would be to get a 3-in-1. The wi-fi thing is REALLY slow (as in HOURS for a 1024 megabit ROM).

Flameburst

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if this works with the M3DS Real's GBA expansion? I've been hoping to get it to work but I can't seem to get it to work and I don't know how to configure the homebrew wireless. Help anybody?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol