Dumping an Old 3DS OTP question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Myria, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Myria
    OP

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    It probably sounds strange coming from me, one of the first people who dumped the New 3DS OTP, but I have a question about how to dump the OTP using the standard techniques.

In the "standard" instructions for dumping OTP on an Old 3DS, there is this step:

This step I don't understand. When you're running something from EmuNAND, won't sysUpdater be unable to update the FIRM0 and FIRM1 partitions? Like, for the reason that it warns you not to run it under a CFW.

I don't know how to install or run a CIA without a CFW, so I don't see how this possibly works.

2. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    They are written later in a python script I think to the emunand image

3. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    the problem is, once formatted with tinyformat, you have to find a way to install a cia manager, cause everything is gone

A. You have Gateway, easy, you boot into CFW with GW (have Devmenu on Gateway SD as .3ds) and launch menuselector and select Devmenu
    B. You inject FBI into Health&Safety app
    C. You boot into HBL from CFW with Cubic Ninja or Zelda OoT and install a cia manager with FBI or NASA or another hombrew cia manager

and it's not update, its downgrade, also on O3DS you don't need a python script to fix emunand.

Emunand 2.1 on O3DS isn't bricked, you can just flash it to sysnand afterwards without running it through any script to fix it like on N3DS, that's why getting OTP on O3DS/2DS systems is so damned easy and almost without a risk to brick. (unless you have a K/C/T 3ds)
    (Got OTP from 6 O3DS systems and 1 2DS)

[EDIT 1]
    Maybe i understood wrong :P

But here's what i understood from all the chatter about sysupdater:
    1. Sysupdater running from HBL doesn't work for downgrading (not enough privileges)
    2. You need to install sysupdater as cia, cause the cia has more arm privileges then the .3dsx version

[EDIT 2]
    And i preffer the guide without Cubic Ninja (i do have CN), and the reason is
    I don't like reflashing CN constantly. it's just easier to go to the url and get the OPT.bin that way

Last edited by DjoeN, Feb 25, 2016
  4. Gcentrex

Gcentrex GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    New York
    The warning in sysupdater are geared towards gateway (aka brickway) and other CFW that boots sysNAND with firmlaunch

EmuNAND is fine it's not touching your sysNAND so if anything goes wrong you restore a backup

5. Myria
    OP

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    I don't get how you can run sysUpdater as a CIA, though, without some sort of CFW running, but sysUpdater has a warning that says that it'll brick your system if you're running a CFW.

I understand why sysUpdater doesn't work from Homebrew Launcher; no access to am:u.

The internal details of the 3DS are easier for me to understand than the end user techniques to accomplish tasks.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Don't they all boot using firmlaunchhax?

The Old 3DS in question is NAND-modded and has a backup, so bricking SysNAND isn't a worry anyway. In fact, it'd be less of a hassle to just do all this on SysNAND.

6. Gcentrex

Gcentrex GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    New York
    No for example mini pasta loaded from HBL can run it safe and with rxtools devmode/pastamode

Those reload the system using without redirecting the sysNAND firm and add reload patches.

Instead the current load FIRM has sig checks patched that's all

7. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    I did 2 systems straight in sysnand, yes it's easier, bit more risky, but (both where hardmodded) if hardmodded you always have a return :)

8. klear

klear Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2015
    Italy
  9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    DevMenu proper conversion, installs to internal storage, master race