Hacking Dump Save from Counterfeit Pokemon GBA Games using GBA BAckup Tool on DS

GayCoonie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: Sorry if this isn't the right forum. Feel free to move it if it would be a better fit for another forum.

I have GBA Backup Tool up and running on my DS with a flashcart, and I'm able to dump ROMs and saves with it just fine, but I've run into the problem where the saves I dump from counterfeit Pokemon games don't seem to work at all in an emulator, not even with the ROMs from the very same carts. I actual do own la legitimate copy of the game that I'm trying to get the save from (Fire Red), but I've played through quite a bit on the counterfeit cart, and I would like to have the save backed-up and usable. I can still load the save on the actual cart, so I know it isn't broken. I've tried loading it as all the different save-types in VBA-M (as well as default settings in mGBA) and none of them work. It obviously tries to load the save, but fails and goes to the new game screen. Is there anyway to dump the saves from these games with GBA backup tool, or another program I can use with just a DS? Alternatively is there a way to convert the save files I am getting in order to work properly?

The one unusual thing I noticed is that my legitimate Fire Red detects as a 16M cart, while the fake one detects as a 32M cart. The save still doesn't work if I force the tool to dump a 16M version of the ROM, though.

Also, an usual thing that happens when I start up the counterfeit cart is that the message "The previous save will be loaded" comes up before the continue/new game selection screen. It still seems to show the most recent save I made.

Last edited by GayCoonie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel