Dumb question - connecting a wii u to a television with rca ports?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by astrangeone, Mar 7, 2017.

1. astrangeone
    OP

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I'm getting an used wii u for Breath of the Wild, but I have a television with rca ports (yes, shut up, it still works well, and I use it for SNES/NES games as well.)...

What would I need to get it working on my ancient tv?

2. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Not very nice.

If it's ancient you maybe should ask a greek or maya *scnr*

Here you go (yes, it works for WiiU not only for Wii. No, it's not included with the WiiU) https://www.amazon.com/Original-Nintendo-Wii-Audio-Video-Packaging/dp/B0016JX2HW/ref=sr_1_2
    But I'm not sure if you want to see that. Some text could be unreadable on a PAL/NTSC TV. You definitely can forget to play Xenoblade Chronicles X with it. Also you will get black bars since everything is made for 16:9.

Last edited by VitaType, Mar 7, 2017
  3. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Thanks. Was looking at a converter set up, and that looks like a MASS of wires. Seriously.

4. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Great thing about Nintendo is that those RCA adapters are somewhat standardized between generations. The same set of cables will work between SNES, N64, and the GC. The Wii is slightly different, but at least they made the Wii U compatible with those cables.

Shikkichu likes this.
  5. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    Yeah im also glad for that, cause i use it for audio when i hook up my WiiU to my PC screen (gosh the image is so much better on that than a TV).

6. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Yup, I'm waiting on an Amazon delivery and then it's hacking my Wii U, and then it's Breath of the Wild time!

7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    it works just fine. most of the zelda text is readable. the item descriptions are sort of readable. the main text is. you can set the display in settings to 16x9 letterbox or 4:3 and you can adjust the viewing area so things are not off the screen as much. The great thing about a crt is it don't care what resolution the display is as long as its analog it will display it. You can also convert hdmi to RCA. Those boxes are like 20 bucks and they work well. there is no lag either.
    LCD has a set resolution and it blows up lower res signals to its native resolution. If there was a LCD tv that could change its pixel size to match the resolution then that would be neat. CRT computer monitors can do that

8. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Got everything working on the exploit/hack. Just need to wait for the update to install and then it's Breath of the Wild time. (I hate modern consoles. You need to update everything online...)

9. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    You could have downloaded the update from NUS and installed it faster.

10. lacrima08

lacrima08 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2009
    France
    Before I change my TV (which is died now) I used my old Gamecube Cable

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    ...this scenario might actually be the best reason to buy a Wii Mini if you can get one for cheap: for the wiimote, nunchuck, sensor bar, and video cable :P