Hardware Dumb Question about USB Ports

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have this AV2VGA converter, and it uses 5v USB for power.

I've been thinking about plugging the USB directly to my Wii instead to my phone charger.

But I'm not sure, which port to use or if it's even safe to do so.

PS; Not using HDD via USB, I just want to be able to play my games on my LCD (I'm SO fucking done with CRT's for now)

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

These are just suggestions::D

Try to connect the Wii cable (RCA) == >> to RCA of the AV2VGA converter ==> then connect VGA to your LCD screen (you may need an audio jack cable for the sound)

Do you have an HDMI port on your screen ?? ==> maybe you can use the WII2HDMI

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this AV2VGA converter, and it uses 5v USB for power.

I've been thinking about plugging the USB directly to my Wii instead to my phone charger.

But I'm not sure, which port to use or if it's even safe to do so.

PS; Not using HDD via USB, I just want to be able to play my games on my LCD (I'm SO fucking done with CRT's for now)

Yes, I have done this before and used the Wii to power an Component RCA to HDMI AV converter. You shouldn't have any problems.

And you can just use the inside port (the one away from the edge of the Wii) so the outside port remains available if you decide to add an external HDD. The setup I did like this has a 4TB WD Passport and the AV converter plugged into it the USB ports, so when the Wii boots both items are then powered on, and even nicer, when the Wii is powered off both items turn off as well.

Let us know how it works out for you.

EDIT: Just to add - You can use either port if you want for the AV converter. It is only an external HDD that requires being plugged into the outside port close to the edge, it will not work if plugged into the other port. it is not a power issue, but in most cases only the outside port allows for data access.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: jeannotte

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello,

These are just suggestions::D

Try to connect the Wii cable (RCA) == >> to RCA of the AV2VGA converter ==> then connect VGA to your LCD screen (you may need an audio jack cable for the sound)

Do you have an HDMI port on your screen ?? ==> maybe you can use the WII2HDMI

No.
I never felt like getting one HD converter.

I used to use my Wii on CRT with the usual Composite cables.
But I recently got rid of my CRT TVs.

Then I got the AV2VGA in order to fix geometry on a Computer Monitor, but I really don't want to use my monitor in order to preserve it.

Then I hooked my Wii to an LCD via AV2VGA, and while it looks awful up close, it looks rather nice from a decent distance.

So I was just wondering if I could power the converter with the Wii USB port as I'm using a regular phone charger and it's a mess on my power strip as I have to plug 4 things:
  • Monitor
  • Converter
  • Stereo
  • Wii
So is just for convenience really.

Yes, I have done this before and used the Wii to power an Component RCA to HDMI AV converter. You shouldn't have any problems.

And you can just use the inside port (the one away from the edge of the Wii) so the outside port remains available if you decide to add an external HDD. The setup I did like this has a 4TB WD Passport and the AV converter plugged into it the USB ports, so when the Wii boots both items are then powered on, and even nicer, when the Wii is powered off both items turn off as well.

Let us know how it works out for you.

EDIT: Just to add - You can use either port if you want for the AV converter. It is only an external HDD that requires being plugged into the outside port close to the edge, it will not work if plugged into the other port. it is not a power issue, but in most cases only the outside port allows for data access.

Was unsure if the Wii could output 5 volts out of any USB for prolonged hours.

I'm not using any external hard drive, but rather SD Cards.
So it shouldn't be a problem.
Just wanted to be sure that drawing 5v from Wii USB wouldn't harm it.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: