Hacking DStwo vs CycloDS iEvolution DSi mode Question.

bliks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

So as the top says I'm going to be picking up a flashcart, and this is the part that confuses me. Cyclo says it has DSi mode, which I understand gives the card access to DSi only features, such as the camera and the faster clock speeds. Now I'm assuming the DStwo doesn't offer this, so my question is, I'll be playing this on a DSi fw version 1.4.1 which will give me the best performance and the ability to play GBA games would be fantastic.

Thanks!

D

Deleted_171835

I wouldn't suggest the CycloDS iEvolution. The build quality of the iEvo isn't that good, it doesn't have a high homebrew compatibility and has several other problems. There are not a lot of DSi Mode games that work on the CycloDS iEvolution. I would suggest you purchase a DSTWO instead.
I do acknowledge that the fact that certain DSi-Mode games don't work isn't the fault of Team Cyclops.

The Supercard DSTWO has the ability to play GBA games without an expansion pack unlike the CycloDS iEvolution. It has a good build quality and a number of other great features.

bliks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright so DSTwo it is then! After I posted this I read some reviews on the iEvo and couldn't really believe the build quality issues.

Could I get a recommendation for the best place to buy the DSTWO with a microSD, preferably from somewhere in Ontario or Canada overall?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
bliks said:
Alright so DSTwo it is then! After I posted this I read some reviews on the iEvo and couldn't really believe the build quality issues.

Could I get a recommendation for the best place to buy the DSTWO preferably from somewhere in Ontario or Canada overall?
The closest you can get to Canada is America and a lot of people suggest this site
http://realhotstuff.com/supercard-dstwo-fr...ping-p-502.html
I would suggest here since i buy from here all the time
http://0shippingzone.com/supercard-superca...lite-p-622.html
It's from China though and not much cheaper than that one up there

D

Deleted_171835

[shoptemp]97[/shoptemp]​
You should check out the above shops.

I would suggest Real Hot Stuff. I purchased from them before and the product arrived quickly and intact.

bliks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going with kickgaming.com as they are located in my province so shipping was cheap and I should have it quick!

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bliks said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going with kickgaming.com as they are located in my province so shipping was cheap and I should have it quick!
You should get it in three to four days, from past experiences.

D

Deleted_171835

bliks said:
Do you have a DS Lite to flash the flashcart to work on the DSi?

bliks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
bliks said:

I don't... I assume I'm going to need to get my hands on one then? My girlfriends sister has one I could use to flash the cart.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
bliks said:
Doesn't it auto-flash itself the moment it gets power or something? Because all the DSTWO I used worked right out of the box.

D

Deleted_171835

bliks said:
SoulSnatcher said:
bliks said:

I don't... I assume I'm going to need to get my hands on one then? My girlfriends sister has one I could use to flash the cart.

Oh, okay.

pyrmon24 said:
QUOTE(SoulSnatcher @ Mar 18 2011, 11:47 AM) QUOTE(bliks @ Mar 18 2011, 05:44 PM)
Doesn't it auto-flash itself the moment it gets power or something? Because all the DSTWO I used worked right out of the box.
I don't think it auto-flashes.

bliks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pyrmon24 said:
SoulSnatcher said:
bliks said:

I think it does, I was looking on the website and there's a way to flash it with just a DSi if it isn't already flashed. We'll see what happens though. I'd like if it would auto-flash.

Now because the card has a cpu in it, does it drain the DS battery quickly or run hot?

D

Deleted_171835

bliks said:
Now because the card has a cpu in it, does it drain the DS battery quickly or run hot?
It does drain the battery more quickly. Battery life with the DSTWO is about 2 or 3 hours. As for it running hot/overheating, I haven't experienced any of that.

bliks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
bliks said:
It does drain the battery more quickly. Battery life with the DSTWO is about 2 or 3 hours. As for it running hot/overheating, I haven't experienced any of that.

Thanks for the quick reply, 2 or 3 hours isn't actually that bad, I usually play at home anyways, so battery life isn''t an issue, just something I was curious about.

Once again thank you everyone for your help. I have a feeling I'll be really happy with the DSTWO!

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, it is an extra strain on the battery. On average you can lose anywhere from 60 to 120 minutes of playtime versus playing from another flash cart or legit retail cart. Sometimes you can experience even worse battery drain if your battery is old and has gone through many charge cycles.

No, there is no way to turn the CPU off, it is always running.

shady586

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing people seem to forget in the comparison between DSTWO and CycloDS iEvolution is that you need to have a DS Lite just to get the DSTWO to work on a DSi XL. Which is incredibly stupid and inconsiderate that the company just simply claims compatibility with DSi XL without telling you the very important disclaimer that you need an older system.

The CycloDS comes with a UFO dongle with a USB jack on it which you can plug the flash cart into the dongle and then plug it into your USB port on your PC to flash the firmware. So you won't ever need a DS system to update at all. THAT is why it is an extra $10.

You can also play SNES and GBA games with the CycloDS by just simply using homebrew software. You don't need a CPU to play these old ass games considering the actual systems had like a 16Mhz CPU in it. The DS can handle it fine with homebrew.. if it can handle DS games it'll handle some old 8-bit game.

As for people saying the DSTWO build quality is better it's literally the same exact thing. Two flimsy pieces of plastic stuck together with a small watch screw and a sticker on the front. I currently own the DSTWO and when I first got it and was prying it out of that egg carton foam like thing it was already coming apart. Not to mention I never even got to use the DSTWO because I have 1.4.1U on my DSi XL and I do not have access to an older system.

Of course they don't TELL YOU that. I even tried to supposed methods of replacing the .DAT system file in the _dstwo folder which is supposed to fix it without a DS Lite and it didn't work at all. The stupid thing just shows "No Game Inserted" on the console.

Why the hell would someone have a DS Lite if they already have a DSi XL? 90% of people either sell or trade in their old system towards a new one. The fact that backwards compatibility is part of the systems is SO you don't need the old one anymore and can replace it with the newer version.

Oh and the suggestion of trying to convince a store owner to allow you to stick some foreign flash cart into their company DS is absurd. Just as absurd as driving all the way to a "second hand store" just to hope that you can find a display DS that doesn't block access to the game cart port so you can sneak the flash cart in.

Overall I am very annoyed at Supercard. To top it off they don't speak english very well so all of their instructions are hard to read.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
shady586 said:
The CycloDS comes with a UFO dongle with a USB jack on it which you can plug the flash cart into the dongle and then plug it into your USB port on your PC to flash the firmware. So you won't ever need a DS system to update at all. THAT is why it is an extra $10.

its an extra $10 because its the only flash kit to date which can work in dsi-mode. you are also paying for the cyclods name and the promise of fast updates. let us not forget when cyclops demanded that dealextreme pull the $36-ish priced cyclods kits they were selling. it is easy to argue that its an additional $10 because cyclops is a greedy team that wants money quick instead of the same amount over a longer period of time.

QUOTE said:
You can also play SNES and GBA games with the CycloDS by just simply using homebrew software. You don't need a CPU to play these old ass games considering the actual systems had like a 16Mhz CPU in it. The DS can handle it fine with homebrew.. if it can handle DS games it'll handle some old 8-bit game.

perhaps you don't fully understand how difficult it is to code something that "emulates" something else in a limited hardware environment such as the nintendo ds. that limited cpu has to emulate all aspects of the original system which was spread across dedicated hardware. your comparing it based on bits, when this has little to do with it. look at stellaDS and how slow it runs, surely you aren't comparing atari2600 to 8bit era titles? also, as you incorrectly stated, you can not run gba games on the cyclods using homebrew software. as for snes, snemulds is an abandoned attempt with hit or miss compatibility (and sever layer issues) where the scds2 sfc emu is an optimized port of snes9x.

Why the hell would someone have a DS Lite if they already have a DSi XL? 90% of people either sell or trade in their old system towards a new one.

some of us are older and wiser than you. we have already thrown away old systems and then buy them up 10 years later when we realize what we did. i'm happy to own the ds lite, xl, and 3ds. i want a ds phat one of these days as well. so please do not assume that everyone is in this 90% number you generated with your imagination.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: