ChrisTheEmpoleon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

I'm sure most of you with a DSTWO know that it saves strangely, and will save and load perfectly without creating a save file in the process unless one was already there. Well, I experimented with a few settings, and found out how to produce an actual SAV file, for use with things like PokeSAV and the like.

The steps are as follows.

1.) Make sure you know the DSTWO's key combination to to into the in-game cheat menu.
2.) In that cheat menu, make a real-time save.
3.) As soon as it finishes saving, restart your DS.
4.) Bring up the information on the ROM in question. I think the default is the X button.
5.) Switch the Multi-Save from 0 to 1.
6.) Start the game.
7.) Enter the in-game cheat menu like you did in Step 2.
8.) Load the real-time save you made before.
9.) Save normally in the game.
10.) You should have a file that is [ROM Name].1.sav. If you do, then congratulations, you now have an actual save file.

Keep in mind now that you are in Multi-Save 1. If you want your new SAV file to show up on Multi-Save 0, just remove the ".1.sav" and put ".sav" instead.

Now you're able to use PokeSAV or another SAV Editor on your Multi-Save 0 file.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope it helps some of you!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
9th_Sage said:
hmm....where is it saving the file when it's nowhere to be seen then? It's got to be saving it *somewhere*.
That's completely right. It should be just a matter of finding the missing file.

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All this does is back up your save by copying it....

I don't get why this would be useful, when you can simply copy the sav file from your sd card.

Unless there's something that's up that I'm not understanding. I never have issues finding my savs. They are there whenever I look for them.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
This is a useful trick.

See, what happened to me was I wanted to try the new Pokesav for Black version. I had trouble because for some reason I could not find my save at all. I looked through all my folders and stuff in my micro sd, while enabling all file types and extensions, etc. and I could not find it.

This trick was a (obvious) solution. I didn't think of it though. The biggest flaw with the DSTWO is that the default save file has weird issues about it. i.e. saves delete themselves (my Professor Layton and the Unwound Future save died for no good reason) and some games, the save exists, but does not show in any directory.

Simply using a separate save file solves this "Phantom SAVE" issue.

Since nobody else seems to appreciate this (yet), Ill go ahead and thank you Empoleon.
wink.gif

ChrisTheEmpoleon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Schlupi. Hope this method continues to work for you.
smile.gif

@ 9th_Sage and YayMii: The SAV file is nowhere to be found. It'll load perfectly, but a save will never appear in the same directory your ROM is in because of some unexplained glitch. This both helps back up your SAV, as well as actually give you an actual file with your save data still intact.

@ jakeyjake: Like explained above, the DSTWO sometimes doesn't want to make a SAV file when under Multi-Save 0. I think it'll make it for sure until Multi-Save 1, but since the default is 0, its a pain to go into each game and set the value. If you don't have a problem finding your SAVs, then that's great.

tehnoobshow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ChrisTheEmpoleon said:
Hello everyone.

I'm sure most of you with a DSTWO know that it saves strangely, and will save and load perfectly without creating a save file in the process unless one was already there. Well, I experimented with a few settings, and found out how to produce an actual SAV file, for use with things like PokeSAV and the like.

The steps are as follows.

1.) Make sure you know the DSTWO's key combination to to into the in-game cheat menu.
2.) In that cheat menu, make a real-time save.
3.) As soon as it finishes saving, restart your DS.
4.) Bring up the information on the ROM in question. I think the default is the X button.
5.) Switch the Multi-Save from 0 to 1.
6.) Start the game.
7.) Enter the in-game cheat menu like you did in Step 2.
8.) Load the real-time save you made before.
9.) Save normally in the game.
10.) You should have a file that is [ROM Name].1.sav. If you do, then congratulations, you now have an actual save file.

Keep in mind now that you are in Multi-Save 1. If you want your new SAV file to show up on Multi-Save 0, just remove the ".1.sav" and put ".sav" instead.

Now you're able to use PokeSAV or another SAV Editor on your Multi-Save 0 file.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope it helps some of you!
very helpful...and it works

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I have never had this problem. The saves are always in the NDS folder for me. I just wish we could have an alternate save folder like the CycloDS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU +1