Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Today my friend bought the DSTT today and he asked me to set it up for him. So I went to his house and did that and I was pretty surprised how well the DSTT handled. It's great! For a first impression the DSTT impressed me more than my M3 Simply.

The no file browsing thing and no automatic file ordering isnt really a hassle too. The games load up REALLY fast even when creating saves [it makes it feel like it makes the save and boots up the game at the same time] and the soft reset is pretty fast to the menu. The choosing which game to soft reset thing is a plus because let's say if you're playing a game like Mortal Kombat and you just button mash. You wouldnt want to accidently soft reset right? Yeah. But that thing is also a downside also because if you have a ton of games, you'll have to enable soft reset for all of them.

The card seem really sturdy too and the spring feels like it wont break anytime in the near future.

It's just the ease of everything that "Wow"'d me the most. Great for beginners and just about great for everyone.

I ant wait for mine to come in the mail. =) Hope it comes this week.

Oh and I have a question. What does the DSTT come with? My friend only got the card and the reader/writer. I swear you're supposed to get a USB Charger and some other stuff with it.

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hmm well the dstt works like a flashcart would, so i guess its low price is what i like about it. Though personally i still like my m3ds simply over it. i have no idea why you're buying a dstt when you have an m3 already but oh wells =D

R4/m3 is pretty simple too no? drag and drop files, everything is organized nicely, native moonshell aboard. but meh maybe its because i love my m3 too much (my sister has my dstt XD)

if you want to get your files sorted, format the microsd to FAT and then use applications like FATSORT.exe to order your things alphabetically.

dstt has different packages. Your friend got the simpliest one with the dstt and microsd reader. Other packages include the ram pack and the gba expansion pack. the charger only comes with the expansion packs.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Similar story over here; just spent the last hour or so playing with a DSTT and we're impressed. It's completely painless, works perfectly, spring card slot's fine, fits in the DS fine, copied the menu, plugged it in and off it went.

Got lost in the menu options the first time we booted it; the official site provides very little documentation whatsoever but the FAQ that Urza sneakily stickied this morning after we started is a brilliant little guide to what the icons mean and what the options do
biggrin.gif

It ran everything we threw at it, homebrew worked fine including StyxDS (which means the DLDI driver must support unaligned read/write. Probably.). 42 All Time Classics complained that it couldn't create a save file, so we rebooted, turned DMA mode on and it worked fine (I don't know whether that setting actually made a difference; we had been mucking around in the global system options just before trying to load the game so maybe we were supposed to restart the DS before running anything, I didn't think to test that.)

The only irritating things were:
* No folder support: (to clarify you can use folders on the memory card to keep things tidy, but in the TT's menu it will pull all the .nds files out of the folder tree into one long list). FATSort is a fantastic program to get things into a sane order; simple, idiotproof, easy to understand and takes less than 2 seconds to do the job.

* No wrapping on the menu from top to bottom: getting to the applications at the bottom of the list is a pain in the arse.
biggrin.gif
Probably more of an issue for SDHC users who have a lot more flies on there.

And that's about it so far. We've got a 1GB Sandisk Premier memory card in there with about 100MB of free space left but didn't try running anything that would really push it so I can't say if opting for something slower than the Japanese Kingston that everyone loves so much causes any problems. It's fine so far so we shall see (though might have to wait a while until the novelty of Pocket Physics has worn off on her before finding out how anything else performs
happy.gif
)

In short it looks like a pretty good, user-friendly hassle-free card. Painless to set up, with the right instructions even a non-technically minded user can have the whole thing up and running in under 10 minutes. And easy to use once you've got the right instructions for the menu
wink.gif
. Pretty cool stuff.

rwilts

Trophies
XP
Country
Regarding having to set 'soft reset' for a long list of games, there is a master option at the top DEFAULT RESET and this set for all games, you can then deselect the one you dont want.

Ebucel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must be using the soft reset wrong but I've yet to get it to work on any roms/HB

after I set the across the board default yes they all seemed to work.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Regarding having to set 'soft reset' for a long list of games, there is a master option at the top DEFAULT RESET and this set for all games, you can then deselect the one you dont want.

lol, i totally noticed that after setting soft reset for every item individually.
tongue.gif

i wish i could softrest from the GBA mode tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins