Knarf

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well as some of you know I got a defective DSTT from dealextreme. They replaced it with a different card but now I've got a broken DSTT card. Is there any way I can put something in it to fix it so I can let my little cousin use it? The problem is I think lose connection. It freezes at the health & Safety menu leaving a faded bottom screen and blank white top screen.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's most likely a cold soldering problem. You may be able to fix it if you have the right equipment and some expertise with electronics (reflowing the board may fix the problem).

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how, personally. You have to have the right equipment and you have to have done it before or your chances of doing it successfully are VERY slim.

-Bri

willmore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of these boards are epoxy encapsulated, right? That means, most likely, that the bare die on the board is wire bonded. There's no way to fix those connections.

From all the reading I've done of problems others have had (myself as well), the most likely culprit seems to be a bad contact between the card and the slot of the DS. Some have suggested bending, but I would suggest a thin piece of tape on the *opposite* side of the cart from the contacts, but along that whole end. That should put a little more pressure on the contacts and board and *may* solve your problem. if it does, you might look into moving the tape onto the back side of the circuit board--inside the cartridge case. But that'll require you opening the case--which you may not be comfortable doing.

Regardless, best of luck!

Cheers.

Knarf

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
willmore said:
Most of these boards are epoxy encapsulated, right? That means, most likely, that the bare die on the board is wire bonded. There's no way to fix those connections.

From all the reading I've done of problems others have had (myself as well), the most likely culprit seems to be a bad contact between the card and the slot of the DS. Some have suggested bending, but I would suggest a thin piece of tape on the *opposite* side of the cart from the contacts, but along that whole end. That should put a little more pressure on the contacts and board and *may* solve your problem. if it does, you might look into moving the tape onto the back side of the circuit board--inside the cartridge case. But that'll require you opening the case--which you may not be comfortable doing.

Regardless, best of luck!

Cheers.
I've opened the cart before, but how do I take the PCB board out of the case? It doesn't want to come out.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you used the 1.16 firmware update on it?.... it could be a fake /clone card exhibiting the signs once 1.16 has been used!

the fading screens can be a common sign of this!

try the fake recovery ds files here
smile.gif

before attempting any hardware fixes!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.