Homebrew DSLibris

Private|Par

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright, here's the deal. I've been looking for something to read eBooks with, and I decided to use DSLibris. I have had no trouble at all using the Tidy online converter to convert my books from .html to .xhtml, found here.

Until I tried to convert Ulysses, by James Joyce. I know what the problem is: The ebooks I've been converting were about 300 kb. This is 1,624 kb. Obviously the website can't handle it. I've downloaded Tidy, but I have no idea what I'm doing. So basically I'm looking for a step-by-step walkthrough of Tidy. All I need to know is how to convert from .html to .xhtml.

I have searched, and found things like "tidy -asxhtml -o name.xhtml name.html" I have no idea what to do with that. I tried typing it into tidy.exe, substituting the names with the name of my file, but to no avail. All help is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Kano-Okami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had some issues with that at first too, although it's worth the hassle.
The best guide I found was from Arishon at Moonbooks (which is currently down).
Through the magic of cached pages, this is what I could salvaged :

Arishon said:
Programs needed:
• Word (or other word processor)
• Simpletidy (http://www.tsnetsoft.com/software.htm)

The dreaded Xhtml format is actually very easy to convert to when you have the tools to do it. For instructional purposes I’ll be using the pdf of King Solomon’s key. First thing you’re going to open your pdf and change the cursor to the selector tool. Once you get that just click somewhere within the txt area and press ctrl-a, to select it all, then press ctrl-c to copy it to your clip board. Then you’re going to open your word processor; I used Word07. Once that’s open just paste everything there by pressing ctrl-v. Now save your word document as an html document.

Now with your newly converted html document you are going to open it with Simpletidy. Once it’s open click the run tidy button located next to the open button. If you saved your html correctly then you should see a “document ok” message. Now you are going to go to “Edit” and click “wordwrap”. Finally go to “file” and “save as”, and save you document. When saving you must specify the extension eg.: I saved mine as “Solomon.xhtml”. You must put the “.xhtml” at the end yourself or it will just save as a normal html.

If you did all this correctly you should be able to move your new .xhtml document to the book folder of DSlibris and load it. Be patient large book files do take a bit to load.

Hope that helps, it did wonders for me.

Private|Par

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you, Kano. This fixed my problem and helped me immensely. Kudos to you, sir. I hope you didn't just sign up to tell me that, and that you stick around in the GBAtemp community!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol