DSL Wifi WPA2 usb solution?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by gokuguy, Apr 8, 2010.

Apr 8, 2010

DSL Wifi WPA2 usb solution? by gokuguy at 5:10 PM (2,698 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. gokuguy
    OP

Member gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Using one of the usb dongles like WifiMax, WifiLINK, ect, can you connect your DS to a WPA2 connection through that, sort of like how Xbox 360 can bypass username/password if using connection through a computer that is shared? If so, what would be the best one to get for Windows 7?

2. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    No. The DS cannot connect using WPA/WPA2. It can only use WEP and only 802.11b. Typically, you have to tell the DS what your network password is, and the name of the network. That's how it works for my 2 DS's, and my Wii.

3. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    Ok, thanks. I figured that this was the answer, but I wanted to make sure before using 30+ dollars to get something that wouldn't help.

4. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I think most people use their wireless router to do wifi stuff. I plan to run cable to my 360.

5. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    I use wireless through router, I just use WPA2 connection (serious problems with neighbors cracking into the connection, slowing it down). I use 360 through network cable as well, but through a laptop.

6. qdog82

Member qdog82 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So you mean you have a wirless router that uses WPA2, to that you laptop connects, and you asking if you could use the wifimax pluged in to the laptop to get your ds online? If thats the cause the yes because the wifimax will use only wep encryption so your DS could connect.

EDIT: Or you could set your router to wep encryption, disable SSID broadcasting and enable mac filtering, that should be pretty secure to if you scared of neighbour trying to steal your net. And then you could connect directly with your ds

7. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    The official Nintendo adapter is your best choice, as it only allows other Nintendo products (DS/Wii) to connect to it. I don't believe that the other adapters offer the same protection - regardless that anyone trying to use the connection would have to be practically right outside your window to pick up a signal anyway.

8. SirCB85

Member SirCB85 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Theoraticaly, the answer to your first question is yes, you can use a dongle like the Nintendo WiFi Stick to bypass the WPA2 protection of your router as the DS would connect to the open connection of the dongle and uses the connection of you PC from there without the need of an own WPA2 authentification.
    BUT the dongle from Nintendo only barrely works on Windows XP and Vista 32bit, so if you have a 64Bit Win7, this would be a no go, except you use a VM like Virtual XP as is implemented in Win7 Ultimate to emulate a 32bit XP and run the dongle within that virtual Windows [​IMG]

9. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    Works 100% for me on both.

10. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    Cant change to WEP because of neighbors. We recently had a 48 character password with WPA2, & they got in. We suspect they are using some type of software to generate the code. we extended he code, & enabled Mac Filtering just recently, so I know they ain't gettin in, cause they aren't the smartest people on the planet... [​IMG]

I am using Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate. Are you saying I could still use the dongle by running it as Windows XP?

Also, if it would work, what would be the cheapest solution? Nintendo Wifi dongles run for about 100 right now, which is quite over my budget. Has anyone tried out WifiLink for this?

11. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can they be any more inconsiderate assholes or what?

12. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I know, what jerks! You can have the authorities kick their butts for something like that, can't you?

13. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    I know, right? They have been like that for as long as I've known them. Nice to your face, then when you turn your back, they spit at you.

Anyway, on topic, we shouldn't have anymore problems with them on this anymore. I'll probably end up getting a usb dongle sometime or another, but for now, I'll wait. Thanks everyone.

14. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If that ever happened to me, I always have network magic to block any unwanted people leeching off me. [​IMG]