DSL battery question

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Red_Slash, Mar 2, 2009.

Mar 2, 2009

DSL battery question by Red_Slash at 4:56 AM (918 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

  1. Red_Slash
    OP

    Newcomer Red_Slash Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Messages:
    64
    Country:
    Brazil
    Hello to all good folks at GBA temp forums. I've been floating about as a guest for some time now, the forum proves to be quite informative and helpful overall so I'm thankful.

    My question is rather simple, but has been bugging me severely (as it seems, that specific point is not covered in the manual, and even NOA tech support staff couldn't help me there); maybe they didn't understand the question or didn't want to really answer it, but alas.
    I'll cut to the chase then:

    Assuming I use the AC adapter plugged in the mains (a power outlet if you will) does the DSL's battery get drained anyway, or does the DSL get power from the outlet instead and conserves battery? I ask because despite it being a portable, I treat it much like a home console (I don't like playing it on the go when I can help it, so I'd like to conserve the battery power for when I really need it).

    Hopefully someone can clarify that point to me, thanks beforehand
     
  2. Purses

    Member Purses GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    Messages:
    109
    Country:
    United States
    It uses the power source straight up. A way to prove it, is you can remove the battery and still have it plugged in and work.
     
  3. Red_Slash
    OP

    Newcomer Red_Slash Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Messages:
    64
    Country:
    Brazil
    Ah I see, thank you very much Purses.
    Just to make sure, that is true for both the original DS (the so called 'fat' it seems?) and Lite correct?
     
  4. xrM

    Member xrM GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    Messages:
    104
    Country:
    Antarctica
    I think with most electronic devices out there, if the AC is plugged in, it will always use the power from there, as well as charge the battery if needed.
     
  5. Red_Slash
    OP

    Newcomer Red_Slash Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Messages:
    64
    Country:
    Brazil
    I see, thank you for reinforcing the previous response, xRM, that is quite reassuring.
     
  6. GhostToast

    Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Messages:
    258
    Location:
    Aurora, IL
    Country:
    United States
    another thing to consider is... would having it plugged in ALL the time be detrimental to the battery? would that shorten the battery life to never have it drained down to low before being charged, to always be "topped off"?

    perhaps that is a problem that batteries only used to have?
     
  7. rrg

    Newcomer rrg Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2006
    Messages:
    29
    Country:
    My only input is that these batteries Li-ion batteries prefer partial discharges. That's one reason (I read) that the DS will turn on the red LED at 30% discharge not lower or fully down.

    Leaving it plugged in will not hurt it but the batteries are designed to be used. One thing to avoid is heat. So if the charger is constantly plugged in and makes the device run warm? Than that could degrade the battery. Remove the battery if you never use it unplugged.

    my2cents.
     
  8. Red_Slash
    OP

    Newcomer Red_Slash Advanced Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Messages:
    64
    Country:
    Brazil
    According to the answers I got from NOA and my own observance, one cannot do such thing as overcharge a DS battery, the portable halts the charging process when its not needed, so it couldn't possibly overheat.

    The issue then is are normal operational conditons here, battery or no battery; if you rule out external conditions such as environmental heat (of course that is detrimental to any kind of battery, even old nickel based ones, or the acid based ones used in cars and toys - there is a risk of explosion under extreme heat or pressure, but one won't be facing such conditions normally at all, unless one is very careless that is, but I believe no one wants their DS to suffer a meltdown.

    That said, rrg is correct about the lithium battery operation procedure - the recharge cycle gets stressed if you force it to run dry completely, thus, 30% is the safe margin for a recharge (in other words, the red LED lit on).
    The only normal scenario that could cause overheating as I see it is if you play and recharge at the same time and even so, it should be tolerable to the system as the circumstance must have been foreseen by the electronic engineers at NOA, even if its not the ideal scenario, I doubt it would be outright damaging.
     
  9. wchill

    Member wchill Resident chillxpert

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Messages:
    1,407
    Country:
    United States
    The DS and other electronic devices with rechargeable batteries will naturally have their battery level lowered over time.
    The DS (and Lite) will run off the AC current, but it will also trickle charge the Li-Ion battery due to the constant loss of energy.
    (Don't worry it's not too much energy, maybe 0.025% an hour?
     

Share This Page