WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Since I havent been able to find a confirmation that the iPlayer does not work on a 3DS in the internet, I tested it myself regardless of the consequences ("brick rumor", you know).

When inserting the iPlayer the 3DS detects it as the game Fish Tycoon from Majesco Entertainment (which makes even the iPlayer illegal btw). Any attempt to launch the cart will result in a message, saying that this cart cannot be read. From this point the cart is not being detected anymore unless you eject and reinstert it. The cart itself became warm really quick.

There are no traces of the cart in the activity log which leads to the conclusion, that only successfully launched titles are being recorded in the log.

Thats all I intended to say. Cheers!

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
how_do_i_do_that said:
There are no VISIBLE traces. The wii for example keeps a running log that survives even a system format. This would be the log the majority of us figures also exists on the 3DS, not the bullshit activity log that is accessible to the user.

Does the Wii log if a disc has been inserted? I dont think so.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
WiiBricker said:
how_do_i_do_that said:
There are no VISIBLE traces. The wii for example keeps a running log that survives even a system format. This would be the log the majority of us figures also exists on the 3DS, not the bullshit activity log that is accessible to the user.

Does the Wii log if a disc has been inserted? I dont think so.

Not exactly, but it really does in a way. That's what the uid.sys file is for: it is essentially a record of the game titles that were once installed and/or launched [including disc-based games] on the NAND chip, and afaik it can survive system formats (unless you use tools like the Comex NAND Formatter). Even if you don't launch the game disc the first time you insert it on the Wii, its *empty* save folder will be created on the NAND.

In any case, I think this is important for anyone out there who wants to use his/her old iPlayer on this new console. Should we expect any new firmware updates?

ultimatt42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, Nintendo will not brick your system if they detect a flash card. It's nothing more than a stupid, unfounded rumor.

First, it's illegal in most countries for Nintendo to brick your system for ANY reason, even if they detect you doing something against their EULA. The most they can do is cut you off from software updates, online features, and warranties.

Second, even if they detect the use of a flash card, it's very unlikely that they can tell what you were using the flash card for. That kind of information wouldn't be in the log. Running homebrew from a flash card is 100% legal in the US, though it probably violates the EULA (haven't checked, and honestly, don't really care because I'm going to do it anyway).

Third, Nintendo faced the exact same situation on the Wii (rampant, easily-detectable piracy) and the most they did was void people's warranties. It's likely that the only reason they made this decision was because they were wasting a lot of money replacing Wiis that were bricked by idiots who can't follow a softmod guide. Flash cards are even less of an issue than softmodding because they don't modify the system itself, so all Nintendo's diagnostic tools will still work. Still, I wouldn't recommend leaving your flash card in the 3DS while attempting an RMA...

Of course, there are always risks when using unlicensed hardware and you shouldn't take risks if you're not willing to live with the consequences, but there's a greater chance of you dropping your 3DS in the toilet than Nintendo intentionally bricking it.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This thread is about the DSiPlayer from Supercard, not about bricking.

Has anyone tried the iSmart MM firmware update yet?
I heard they use the same hardware as the iPlayer.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 3DS does log the game inserted even if it is not visible in the daily log. The 3DS will attempt to copy the icon of the game and info and put it in Software library. If the 3DS system log does exist it would likely show up as an error trying to copy the cart info and icon.

As for the wii system log, nintendo is only currently looking for un/installed software if you send the system in. As for games inserted, it wasn't mentioned if such things were recorded or not in the system log, and I really don't care about it. I only said the system log can survive a system format, nothing about a recording the game inserted into a wii.

1234turtles

Memer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bought the iplayer way back when it came out very dissapointed in its lack of support from the supercard team last prodect ill ever buy from them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Hey, VSauce. Where are your fingers?