DSi extended battery

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by spark1223, Apr 27, 2010.

Apr 27, 2010

DSi extended battery by spark1223 at 1:24 AM (2,811 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. spark1223
    OP

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was looking to trade my DSi in for a DS Lite (for gba functionality and better battery) but I traded it for like 5 minutes till I realized the DS Lite had an unreponsive D-Pad. This kinda turned me off to trading it. I would just buy a new DS Lite but I don't have the money right now ( and might be a long time before I do). So I thought I could aleast fix the battery problem with a new DSi battery. Anyone know where to get a extended life DSI battery that actually works? I found a few but there were bad reviews saying it worked the same as the old battery.

2. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain
    buy a original nintendo battery they are always better

3. spark1223
    OP

United States
    Does nintendo sell extended life batteries(usually with higher mah than the original)? The battery I have works ok, its just the DSi has low battery life, because nintendo gave it a shitty battery(like 840 mah when the DSi uses more than the dslite and the dslite has a 1000 mah).

4. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    You have to take into account that with the brighter screens, better speakers, 2 cameras, and bigger screens the batteries to have a good life time and support all that were pretty pricey (or atleast when they were creating the DSi).

I have no problem with my DSi's life time, just keep it at brightness 2 or 3.

And also no, I don't think Nintendo sells better batteries. But Porobu is right, most third party batteries come out crappier than the official ones.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Those batteries at places like Deal Extreme that say they are double the capacity of the standard battery are a lie. You will get only the same life, or less than the original equipment battery.....usually less. If you actually get any more time than the original battery, it's probably only because your original battery was starting to wear anyway. Genuine extended playtime out of those so-called double capacity batteries is rare. Many overseas specs on electrical products are often bald-faced lies. I have no idea why they get away with lying like that, but it happens all the time. My bro did some investigation into lithium-ion batteries and discovered that the physical dimensions of a DS battery cannot be over what Nintendo rates them. Look for any legit battery rated at 2000mAh and they are bigger than a DS battery by about a third. Ninty's ratings are correct, the 3rd-party batteries are not. Stick with original equipment and you'll be better off.

Keep in my also that using flashcarts shortens the playtime because flashcarts consume more power than a retail game does.

I did some extensive testing with my original DSlite battery (rated 1000mAh) and a DX 3rd-party battery (rated 2000mAh). My original DS battery gets about 20% MORE life per charge than the so-called 2000mAh battery. Next replacement DSlite battery I buy will be a genuine Nintendo licensed battery.

6. spark1223
    OP

United States
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought flashcarts like acekard last longer... Oh well.