DS2x86 version 0.05 released!

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Pate, Mar 6, 2011.

Mar 6, 2011

DS2x86 version 0.05 released! by Pate at 6:50 AM (3,699 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. Pate
    OP

Member Pate GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Version 0.05 released!

The major improvements and fixes in this version are the following:

- Preliminary support for high resolution EGA/VGA modes 640x200, 640x350 and 640x480 added. NOTE! Scaling does not work properly in these modes yet.
    - Implemented preliminary support for Mode-X mode 360x240 (for the Settlers game).
    - Implemented a lot of missing opcode variations, now a majority of the most common opcodes have been implemented, but many rare opcodes are still missing.
    - Increased the EMS memory size to 4MB, which allows Elder Scrolls: Arena to start up.
    - You can now switch between the configuration sections in the INI file on-the-fly, by clicking on the current configuration name.
    - Fixed a stack alignment problem in overlay loading, which caused an "Exception 5" error in some programs.
    - Fixed a bug in SETZ opcode, which caused Warcraft to hang when giving a command to dig gold. NOTE! It is recommended that you play Warcraft with "no sound", as the SoundBlaster emulation in DS2x86 seems to cause intermittent freezes and crashes.
    - Fixed a bug in division-by-zero interrupt handling, which caused Formula One: Grand Prix to fail.

Please send me the debug logs from this version again, they are very helpful when I improve DS2x86!

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com

Pate

2. Sir_Voe

Member Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Cool. From the handful of non-functioning games I keep on my card, Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry seems playable now.

3. RisnDevil

Newcomer RisnDevil Advanced Member

United States
    I know this is for the Supercard DSTwo, but can it really not be made to run on any other card? It seems really cool, and I am interested in trying it, just not sure if it is worth purchasing a second flashcard.

Thanks,
    RisnDevil

4. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Nope, it requires all of the extra hardware that the DSTwo card has (394mhz processor, 32mb RAM). There is however a normal .nds version of dsx86, which is also very good, but it doesn't run as fast and may have lower compatibility than this version.

5. boktor666

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    Kewl, one of the few (dont count gba emu+snes emu with it) homebrews wich actually are using the technical specs of the DS2.

Can anyone reccomend some DOS games to test out. I like strategy rpg and platformers :3

6. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Sounds awesome as always Pate! Haven't actually tried it yet, but looking forward to trying out Elder Scrolls Arena a bit later (although I've never played it and will probably end up being as confused as you were).
    I noticed you felt a bit discouraged with further working with ds2x86 since dsx86 allowed for faster testing. Hopefully this doesn't mean you'll be working less on it from now on, would make me a very sad panda [​IMG]

Anyways, keep up the good work as always!

EDIT: Just a tiny bug. When I decided to quit Warcraft directly to Dos while still being in mouse mode. The screen never switched back. But when tapping the bottom screen, it was still giving me the keyboard taps. As
    the keyboard layer overlapped over the main screen as an invisible layer. Hard to explain I guess =7.

7. asiekierka

Newcomer asiekierka Advanced Member

Poland
    This is the first version on which Windows 3.0 works! (although no mouse, but it works!)

8. mad008

Newcomer mad008 Newbie

United States
    Hire are my test results:

Tomb raider: Loads, gives black screen.
    Little Divil: Works greed.
    Worms 97: Loads, gives black screen.
    Worms Demo: Works.
    Warcraft Demo: Works.

Warcraft: Loads, gives black screen.
    Blood: loads, than gives “src\loadsave.cpp(501): File error #1 loading save file header.”
    GTA: log error.
    Warcraft 2: log error.
    Oddworld: Abe’s oddysee: log error.
    Theme Hospital Demo: “Failed to initialize VRES256 screen”.
    Command and Conquer: log error.
    Need for speed: log error.
    Destruction derby: log error.
    Blouse brothers 2: Loads, gives black screen.
    Elder Scrolls: Arena: Works, little slow down.
    Settlers: log error.
    Obelix: log error.
    Carmageddon: log error.
    Zool 2: Loads, gives black screen.
    Full throttle Demo: log error.
    Jazz jack rabbit: log error.
    Wolfenstein 3d: Works greed, 15fps.

9. Killermech

Sweden
    It has actually been playing fine for me. Beaten three campaign levels so far (really don't want to play it till I can fully enjoy it with sound, but so hard to resist [​IMG]).
    Make sure to disable sound as he described.

10. Freezer6

Member Freezer6 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    THX for your work,enjoied it many times!

Giving me back old school Times...... [​IMG]

11. Master_Thief

Newcomer Master_Thief Member

United Kingdom
    Yet another batch of games now playable in this version (the first 3 probably being the most important improvements) [​IMG]

Alone In The Dark 3 - Playable - Works, though framerate is inconsistent, also no sound.
    Arena - Playable - Works though is a little slow, no sound either.
    Betrayal At Krondor - Playable - Works, no sound though.
    Blake Stone 2 - Playable - Works perfectly.
    Bust A Move - Playable?? - Now gets to title screen, couldn't get the menu selections to work though.
    Death Gate - Playable - Works, though no sound.
    Depth Dwellers - Playable - Works, though no sound.
    Frontier: Elite - Partially Working - Now gets ingame, but give continous "unsupported opcodes" (which can be skipped).
    Hardball 4 - Playable - Works perfectly.
    Lemmings 3 - Partially Working - Now gives an "unsupported opcode" error after selecting your level.
    Sensible World Of Soccer - Playable?? - Gets to menu, but arrow keys don't work (can't reassign them in setup).
    Terminator - Playable - Works, no sound though.
    Tie Fighter - Playable - Works, a little laggy in places though perfectly playable, no sound though.
    Warcraft - Playable - Works, unstable with sound enabled though.

Full list of games tested

12. DSman59

Newcomer DSman59 Member

Latvia
    Now Worms demo works with CPU opponents enabled, but the only thing they can do is move to the left and wait until their time runs out.

13. The Phantom

Newcomer The Phantom Member

United States
    I can't get the sound working on this. Any ideas on enabling sound?

14. Pate
    OP

Member Pate GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Sadly, I haven't yet had time to focus on the sound support, so there is only rudimentary SB digital audio support, and even that seems to cause more trouble than what it is worth at the moment.

My plan is to first improve the opcode support so that most games have a chance of working, and then start improving the sound emulation.

Oh, and to Killermech, I don't plan to stop working on DS2x86 for a while yet, so no worries. :-) I just probably work a bit more with the DSi version of DSx86 first, and then get back to improving DS2x86 again.

Pate

15. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    ...assuming i get around to getting a SupercardDSTwo for this specific version, will it be powerful enough to run Master of Magic? I'm a pretty big fan of 4X games, and this particular title was one of my favorites, along with Lords of Magic and recently, Stardock's Elemental:War of Magic (it seems Stardock's one of a few that makes 4X games). So yeah, me wants this and SCDS2 if it works.

16. Killermech

Sweden
    At some point, it should be able to run Master of Magic (Maybe even works now, haven't actually tried it). Maybe with some slight lagging as its minimum requirements is a 386.

17. StarWolf3000

Newcomer StarWolf3000 Member

Germany
    Which "The Settlers" did you test? "The Settlers" (1) or "The Settlers 2"?

18. Net_Bastard

Member Net_Bastard GBAtemp Regular

United States

Why the dick would you expect games like Tomb Raider, Need For Speed, and Carmageddon to work?

19. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Tests for the sake of testing. There are various nubs out there that would ask why "it don't work", so why wouldn't you test them as well and provide a slightly more complete list of what is working and what isn't o.0...

20. Net_Bastard

Member Net_Bastard GBAtemp Regular

United States

Ah, that's a good idea actually.