DS texting homebrew?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by muscarella_7, Oct 27, 2010.

Oct 27, 2010

DS texting homebrew? by muscarella_7 at 12:41 PM (2,883 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. muscarella_7
    OP

Newcomer muscarella_7 Member

Canada
    hey,
    i was wondering if there is a ds texting homebrew app out there, i have looked up DSaim but it is not working anymore and was abandoned.
    So basically what i am asking for is if theres a ds texting app that i could use in order to text other phones and recieve texts from phones as long as i am in a wireless internet connection hotspot.
    I know the ipod touch can do this so why not the ds.

thanks in advance

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  3. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I know this is an old thread and all, but there's not enough information in that post and I want this too, can you elaborate please?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    CLIRC (sometimes called C|IRC) is an IRC program and probably the best one there is on the DS.

http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.r.html will accept IRC input and translate it to other forms of communication (MSN, AIM, ICQ and whatever else)- one of those methods of communication should include SMS (at a cost naturally) and if you set it up correctly you should be able to receive them as well (see stuff like the fax to email gateway programs if you want an example) which then gets translated back into IRC and everybody is happy. I will however note that many phones these days can do IM ( http://alternativeto.net/software/pidgin/?platform if your phone otherwise lacks a client) and they should not suck down much data.

I guess you could also try one of the web to sms gateways if you wanted as well or set your own one up.

5. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I sorta meant how to set up a free texting app..

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    http://www.ds-xtra.com/ClIRC features basic usage of CLIRC
    http://princessleia.com/bitlbee.php covers how to set up bitlbee for this (personally I would use a PC IRC client to get it sorted as typing all that needs doing on a DS keyboard is not going to be fun).
    https://text.mobile.live.com/HowItWorks.aspx covers how SMS works on phones with MSN and how to set it up.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    To my knowledge, there are no real "texting apps" for the DS, free or paid. As FAST6191 said, C|IRC + BitlBee is one option. My only other idea is to use Google Voice for texting. This depends entirely on whether the Google Voice website is both accessible and functional from any DS web browser (homebrew or Opera), which I have not tested in the slightest.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I highly doubt Google Voice will work in any form on any DS browser.

9. DanTheManMS

United States
    Yup, I will confirm that. I downgraded my router's security to WEP to test the Opera browser on the DS, and Google Voice is completely unusable. I can't check my incoming messages or send any outbounds. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Looks like C|IRC is your only option then, which may not be free.

EDIT: for what it's worth, this was using the $30 Opera Browser cartridge + RAM pack for the DS. There is a slight chance that the version of Opera integrated into the DSi and 3DS might work out better, but I'm not promising anything.

10. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I use the 3DS, but Google Voice seems to need an existing phone number to work, which I don't want to do. >_

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    As Google Voice is merely a phone number redirection service, and not a VOIP service without Google Chat, that makes sense.

12. TheDan2430

Newcomer TheDan2430 Member

United States
    i use the google voice mobile site with bunjalloo and it works perfect

13. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

I think you left this somewhere.

14. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    Bunjalloo has amazing javascript support. (for a DS browser)
    too bad it's no longer being developed, it gives me too many errors on my flashcard.