Hacking DS lite - repair options

odyssy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So - the L button on my DS Lite is becoming unresponsive. I've heard this is a rather common problem. Right now, pressing down really hard on the button a few times is required for a press to register (blowing onto the button seems to help a bit.. for a while).

Nintendo wants $75+tax+shipping to fix this, according to their website... which is awfully expensive for such a small issue, IMO (1/2 the cost of a new system!)

What other options do I have?

DrFiishy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you could open it up yourself and maybe trying to fix it....if you cant...well dont have any other option tbh

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WHAT - you can desolder the buttons and put on new ones!

I tried and failed - I opened up the DS lite and then squirted a little switch cleaner in them

Worked great!

odyssy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do you go about doing this? Is it an easy procedure?
Alternatively, is there anyone in Toronto who would repair DS lites for a nominal charge (or free, even better :-> )?

monzamess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are repair guides all over Youtube showing how to take it apart and reassemble. You WILL need a "triwing" screwdriver. Dealextreme has them really cheap, but if you don't want to wait weeks for it, you can find one pretty cheap on ebay. Probably just some dirt got in there and you need to open it to properly clean it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt