DS Lite - Possible motherboard problem

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by axlegear, Apr 27, 2010.

Apr 27, 2010
  1. axlegear
    OP

Newcomer axlegear Member

Italy
    When I turn on my DS Lite, the green light powers on, but nothing happens. There is no sound at all, and the screens don't show up.

I disassembled it and tried to eject the screens, to see if the DS Lite recognises that one or two screens are ejected.
    As many of you know, if a screen in the DS Lite is ejected, when the DS is powered on the green light blinks and suddenly the unit shuts off. This won't happen, the green light remains still powered, and nothing changes.
    I tried to eject Wi-Fi and Mic, as I said before, no change. Only the green light. Possible motherboard problem?
    Do you have any technical suggestions, considered that I don't want to buy a new motherboard? Do I have to check some resistors for example? Any help would really be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
  3. axlegear
    OP

Newcomer axlegear Member

Italy
    Well, thanks a lot GexX2: your link was very useful. I think that the F2 fuse blowned. Infact it is brown-coloured, like something burned. I do have to test it, but I think that's it.
    Can I solder the wire without removing the fuse or do I have to do so?
    I will test it now and let you know.

4. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Pretty sure you gotta remove the fuse. It might be a good idea to actually replace the fuses too, cuz you could blow the mb without them if you overcharge the DS. But the wire fix will give you a temporary solution anyway. You can find the fuses on ebay.

5. axlegear
    OP

Newcomer axlegear Member

Italy
    I have tried both the fuses and there is continuity, so the fuses aren't blowned. I did a bridge between BT+ and VDET but the results are the same. Any other suggestions?

6. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    Where could i buy replacement DS and DSL batteries?

7. axlegear
    OP

Newcomer axlegear Member

Italy
    Update: I tried changing the Wi-Fi module(it also contains the BIOS) and nothing changed, so I'm now sure the problem is in the motherboard. Is there anything I can do at this point?

8. gameguy95

United States
    senior moment xd
    just realized i wanted fuses. thanks anyway.... ;0

9. lithium210

Member lithium210 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i've fixed a ds that had a similar issue. it turned out to be the cpu which is located under slot-1. You'll have to unsolder the metal frame then carefully lift the socket. dont lift too much or you'll break the pins. apply pressure to the cpu and try turning it on with the battery and if it works then you'll know its the cpu. I put a piece of plastic and after sealing it all up, its been working perfectly for about a year now. Whatever you decide to use make sure its really thin, dont need too much pressure to get it to work and if you want a real fix, you'll have to take the socket off and probably use a heat gun to resolder the chip. btw.. if it were fuses, it would turn on then off or not power on at all.

1 person likes this.
  10. axlegear
    OP

Newcomer axlegear Member

Italy
    This was linked by GexX2:

http://m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_DS_Li...le_(blown_fuse)

And there is another link for blown fuses:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320355330330

11. gameguy95

United States
    just needed 2nd link. thanks [​IMG]

12. axlegear
    OP

Newcomer axlegear Member

Italy
    I fixed it thanks to lithium210. I applied a piece of cork rather than a piece of plastic. Now the motherboard works perfectly. Thanks again!

13. lithium210

Member lithium210 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    awesome, glad you fixed it. Hmm.. gotta try cork next time i see that problem but whatever works! [​IMG]