DS Lite L Button

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Skyline969, Mar 11, 2009.

Mar 11, 2009

DS Lite L Button by Skyline969 at 5:52 AM (1,803 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Skyline969
    OP

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    I just noticed this: My L button on my DSL is a little... iffy on registering when it's pressed. You have to press right in the middle of it with a fair amount of force while you can just lightly tap the R button, or even push it down from the side (slide your finger down the side of the button). I tried cleaning around the L button with a toothpick (being VERY careful, no worries) but that diddly squat. Any suggestions to what the problem could be and the potential solution?

DiagnoSe is my source that the button isn't registering a press every time I press it unless it's at that certain spot.

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    i think the problematic L shoulder button is very common with DS lites
    mine had that problem too

a quick fix solution is to blow it.
    yes. i said blow it.
    put your lips around the L button (covering the 'holes') and just blow.
    be careful though cuz your breath is wet-ish and could cause harm to your DS

most people will suggest blowing it
    because it works
    you can also use one of them pressured air cans and spray air through the gaps
    its the same as blowing, but not as harmful to your DS

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    This is one of the many problems of the DS Lite. (Besides, broken hinges, yellow touch screens, etc.)

You have two options:
    1. Blow into the button, the moisture is said to improve conductivity. This is a short term solution but it does work,
    2. Disassemble your DS Lite and fix the L button manually.

4. Skyline969
    OP

Canada
    I'll try the pressurized air can first. Luckily my dad has a CO2 air blower laying around from blowing the dust out of his computer. I'll test that and get back to you all.

EDIT: This is weird as hell... my L button is working perfectly now! I didn't even touch the CO2 yet and it's working fine. DiagnoSe is registering the button presses as precisely as the R button....

5. stonypebbles

Newcomer stonypebbles Newbie

Australia
    WOW THNX THIS REALLY HELPD ME besides the fact that my r one isnt working
    and can smone help me on my directionpad? its kinda soft like u cant press it its already popped or sumthing

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i had both my R and L give me problems in the past. when you touch them you need that extra "push" to get them to work correctly. i always seem to notice it when playing dsdoom. the only solution that has worked for me is to pull the button away from the case and blow like crazy!!! compressed air didn't ever really do anything. on the R side you have a small hole just by the power light that works good. on the L side you can get a good gap if you pull it hard enough.

the first time it happened nintendo wanted 80$ some odd dollars to fix it. i could get a new ds for 120$. they are crazy!

-another world

7. Skyline969
    OP

Canada
    So pull it back too, Another? I just didn't wanna break my shoulder button.... Oh well, all is good now. If it messes up again, I'll pull back the shoulder button and then shoot compressed air into it. If that fails, I'll blow into it, hard.

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you pull them back, slowly and firmly, they will pull off the "track" they rest on but not away from the ndsl. hold it there and blow. with compressed air its good to have a second person. i use clear plastic baggies as gloves for the cold of the compressed air. but like i said blowing with my mouth has worked much better.

-anther world

9. turdferguson

Newcomer turdferguson Newbie

United States
    It's hard to believe it, but the blowing trick fixed mine too!

10. N-TG

Member N-TG GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    Mine fixed the L button problem for a while...but now It doesn't do nothing anymore...
    I am going one of this days to send it for fixing it...0 cost though [​IMG]

11. Skyline969
    OP

Canada
    Do you think the DSi is gonna have similar issues with its shoulder buttons?

12. SirAileron

Member SirAileron Seeker of Truths

United States
    Considering that the issue of unresponsive shoulder buttons is caused by dirt and dust getting caked/lodged onto the shoulder button contacts, then yes, it is likely to happen on just about any product with shoulder buttons, or any relatively unprotected button housing.

It happened with my GBA (which I fixed), my friend's SP (which I also fixed), my DS (again, fixed), and with my Lite as well (fixed just the same, with cleaning).

If you open up your system, give it a scrub with a toothbrush or something, as well as using the can of air to get particles out.

13. Skyline969
    OP

Canada
    Well, my Lite is the first system I ever had these problems with. All game controllers, my SP, my DS Phat, and my PSP have never had the problem.