DS Lite bottom screen has a dark area and flickers

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by FireSeel, Apr 21, 2013.

1. FireSeel
    OP

Member FireSeel GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The bottom screen of my DS Lite is really bad, and it makes most games unplayable .

Photo of dark patch:
    [​IMG]

2. geishroy

Member geishroy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    replace it.

3. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Oh in the middle there? Ya you are going to either want to replace that or send it to nintendo for repairs.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Actually it looks like there's either too much/too little pressure put on the screen - it's not necessarily broken. Does the screen react in any way when you put pressure on it or on the patch?

It would also seem that your DS Lite was previously dismantled or it's a refurb from China - not that you'd have any way of knowing that since those units entered the market as "new", so the build quality may be questionable.

Press down on the bottom right and left-hand corners of the bottom part of the system - do they move in any way? If so, the system may have been put together wrongly or the screws were not tightened enough and got loose.

Additionally you could fiddle around with the screen adjustment screw which is situated directly beneath the battery - twist it bit by bit clock or counter clockwise and check if it affects the screen in any way.

If all this fails, you might have to carefuly open up the system following one of the online guides (videos can be found online) and have a look inside, check the ribbons etc. Worst case scenario, you'll need a new bottom screen.

5. FireSeel
    OP

Member FireSeel GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think I accidentally broke one of the screen adjusting screws off. I think that the ds itself is a fake, there are no tri-wing screws on It whatsoever.

6. Cartmanuk

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Its probably a refurbished unit. The ribbon cable might be loose if not I can send you a screen no problem, PM me if interested.

7. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Check the Bottom Ribbon cable if its in firmly the screen needs replacement

No. The DS Itself is not fake its just refurbished with Non Nintendo Parts, That does not make it fake -.-

8. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I was going to say that that's most likely a resistance issue fixable by the pot that's in the case, until...

[​IMG]

It's most likely stuffed then. I can do the same thing to my DS by adjusting the resistance pots that you supposedly broke off, but you only need to turn them one way or another to get it to work properly.

If you got it as a refurbished model from China they likely put a new case on it which likely came with philips screws instead of the Triwing ones.

Edit - I can't even find the replacement part if you WANTED to fix it, disregarding how hard it would be.

Kouen Hasuki likes this.