DS Game Maker?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by raiderscrusade, May 17, 2010.

May 17, 2010

DS Game Maker? by raiderscrusade at 5:08 AM (2,690 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. raiderscrusade
    OP

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hello.

Recently I have read about an application called DS Game Maker which runs on your PC to allow the creation of DS games.

I was wondering if this program is any good, or if it is just a package to help beginners.

The reason why I ask is because I have no idea in how to code DS games from scratch and have no experience in the language that DS Games require.

Thanks for any help!

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I shall just say that I attempted to try out the demo version of it versus the regular setup of PAlib and Devkitpro with no experience in either of them (just to try it out). While I had tons of trouble figuring out what the hell I was doing in DSGameMaker, I found that PAlib and Devkitpro were easier to understand.
    Supposedly DSGameMaker is for noobs, but apparently its harder for me to understand that then what the more dedicated coders use.
    Anyways, the best route to go is usually learning some C++ (I think it was C++...) and use devkitpro and PAlib.

3. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
    It's just a frontend for the popular library, PAlib. Hand-coding is more efficient, in my oppinion because:

-It is free, unlike the program.
    -In my oppinion, hand-coding is easier.
    -DS Game Maker contains "Actions" that are just chunks of PAlib codes, such as "End If", which is just '}', thus being time wasting.
    -DS Game Maker isn't an 'official' program made by a big comapany, so don't expect prefection.

I can't choose which path you take, but please re-think about PAlib.

4. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    DS Game Maker might be useful if you've gotten the hand of the original Game Maker. They both have few similarities i heard.

5. bluebowser31

Member bluebowser31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i used to use the real pc gamemaker, and have most parts of the code memorized, so would this be for me? (i didnt know they were at all related)

6. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    It might. It sorta depends. I've used GM before but this is almost nothing like it. I had a friend who uses GM lots and rants on about how DSGM is exactly the same and how easy it was to use and stuff....

7. Dead End

Member Dead End GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Its awsome depending on what ya wanna do i have pro and so far im loving it

8. Exaltys

Member Exaltys GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I downloaded the free version of DS Game Maker and was completely lost as to what to do. devkitpro and PAlib is way better, especially if you know some C++.

9. jurassicplayer

United States
    lol, this has definitely gotten nowhere. We have people on both sides saying that one side is easier to understand than the other. Best thing is to test it out yourself and compare (though it might be hard to test PAlib/Devkitpro at the moment, since apparently both sites are down xD).

10. Knyaz Vladimir

Member Knyaz Vladimir 3DS Hacker

Canada
    A waste of time and space. I downloaded the free version, and I'd rather learn C++ than put up with DSGM. Heck, Game Maker 8 is better than DS Game Maker in my opinion, it was made by a PROFESSIONAL, not a confused 1337 371T3.

11. bluebowser31

Member bluebowser31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well basically, devkitpro is stronger, and more advanced, but WAY harder to use.*
    DSGM can do less, and is limited (by a payment option) but it is WAY easier to use.

i say its hard because the only code i know is html (need a webpage?) so its hard to grasp, were as game makerds is simple and anyone can get it, but because of this it limits it...

what do you mean in your opinion lol? the real GM has been around for more than 10 years made by professionals, having contests giving away thousands of dolars.
    GMDS was made practicaly this year [​IMG] and made probably by some kid (im not fighting you, im just wondering who in the world thinks the DS version is better..) also, the GM8 sprite editor is pretty amazing, in my mind its up there with gimp and paint.net

12. raiderscrusade
    OP

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Well, I know no C++ what so ever [​IMG]

I know a lot of Visual Basic however, but devkitPro/PAlib is C++ only, isn't it?

Time to set up devkitPro/PAlib and learn C++!

13. Chase-san

Member Chase-san GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The maintainer (creator) of DevKitPro does not at all like DSGameMaker, (nor does he particularly like PALib). Installing DSGameMaker will compromise any other installs of DevKitPro. It also includes the latest version of No$gba last I checked, which requires a payment to get, but the makers of DSGameMaker is distributing it for free.

Basically, he is making money off from others work. While some think it may be easier to use. The maker of DevKitPro, and indeed even PALib, don't think you should have to pay to make things for the DS.

14. Eldude

Member Eldude GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Chase-san - Don't post things that you have no idea about.

The creator of DSGM has full permission from devkitpro and palib creators to add their libraries to DSGM.

Installing DSGM does not break Devkitpro, infact it uses the latest version of both libraries and if you go onto hand coding the toolchain will work without DSGM. The bonus is that DSGM has already setup your toolchain for you.

The No$GBA distributed with DSGM is the free version.

When you purchase DSGM which is extremely cheap, a 7th of the price of gamemaker for PC what you are getting is the hard work of putting together a tool which does make DS game making easier. You are not paying for devkitpro and palib.

Its like saying that company's that sell apps to make web pages are making money off what you can do for free in notepad "other peoples work".

Devkitpro is the library, Palib used devkirpro code and puts it into simpler commands, DSGM is a frontend for palib.

For those that cannot use the app and think that gamemaker for PC is easier, well it is.
    You have to know basic programming in C to be able to use DSGM so for those that cannot use it, go grab an online tutorial.

This is a brilliant way to get your foot in the door to start programming and the free version is more than enough to make a great game without having to purchase PRO.

I should know, apart from James the creator of DSGM I am the longest user of the application.

15. jurassicplayer

United States
    Somehow I get the feeling that DSGameMaker isn't the greatest way to start learning how to program (but what the hell do I know anyways, I'm just using half-assed knowledge from attempted html...myspace mostly...and applying that to any and all forms of coding possible...so far I haven't seem to have crashed and burned yet...although I may have tons of memory leaks...at least I think I might...).

Anyways, as long as James has the permission of the developers, I'm all good with it being an option (my opinion doesn't really matter in this case). The only real things I dislike about DSGM is that you have to buy it for the extra stuff, you have to be wary of what you post (half the time I see flames brewing when the topic reaches DSGM), most of the users don't seem to have that much dedication (when compared to the coders of the past, though there are some that do seem to make a large effort), and that it completely goes over my head even though PAlib and Devkitpro at least make a smudge of sense to my lame html knowledge (nobody should ask how the hell html relates to this sort of coding...because I really have no idea).

16. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
    So Game Maker is $70? It's only half the price.

17. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    palib is up, and the important part of devkitPro (the sourceforge page, where you download the installer) is also up.

Anyway, you need to install both manually before you can use DS Game maker AFAIK

18. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I fully agree it's rather silly... but his rules are his rules.
    Unless you donated the $2.50 to him, you shouldn't be running (and definitely not DISTRIBUTING) No$GBA 2.6a.

Chase-san is correct.

19. Eldude

Member Eldude GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Another person who has no idea what they are talking about. Did you not read my post?

DSGM installs the toolchain for you and the toolchain can then be used without DSGM if you grow out of the product.

@Jurasicdude - As far as paying for it to get the extra stuff goes, you can make perfectly working games without paying for the product. The "extra stuff" is just window dressing for your project and is not required.

20. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I apologize profusely for not knowing everything. Last time I tried DS Game Maker, you needed to install both manually first. I couldn't get it to compile back then, despite following the instructions perfectly (I could compile stuff I wrote myself, so obviously nothing wrong with devkitPro or PALib), so I uninstalled it and never looked back.