Hacking DS & DS Lite

lukands

I took the little bus here
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I already have the DS Lite running with many different cards, but I have the opportunity to get my hands a regular DS (in a trade, why would I buy one?). Do the cards (dstt, r4, acekard, etc..) run just the same in the original DS as they do in the DS Lite. Or are there any drawbacks to the DS over the DS lite (besides size). I don`t mind trading some old junk for a spare DS.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The ds phat is a brick, light is crappier than the dsl level 1 brightness, and yeah you can run the flash carts.
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The old DS (A.K.A. DSphat) is exactly the same as the lite in functionality and compatibility. The only real difference besides the exterior design is the backlight for the screens only has on and off (no brightness variations) and looks dim compared to the DSlite's 4 brightness settings. The charging plug is bigger too.

In other words, all your flashcarts will work fine in it. Keep in mind though the the DSphat's slot2 takes a full size GBA cart and doesn't stick out like the DSlite's, so any DSlite slot2 carts you might have that sit flush in the lite won't work in the phat simply because the cart is too small.

Hope that answers your questions.

lukands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Rayder said:
The old DS (A.K.A. DSphat) is exactly the same as the lite in functionality and compatibility. The only real difference besides the exterior design is the backlight for the screens only has on and off (no brightness variations) and looks dim compared to the DSlite's 4 brightness settings. The charging plug is bigger too.

In other words, all your flashcarts will work fine in it. Keep in mind though the the DSphat's slot2 takes a full size GBA cart and doesn't stick out like the DSlite's, so any DSlite slot2 carts you might have that sit flush in the lite won't work in the phat simply because the cart is too small.

Hope that answers your questions.

Yes thanks, no worries with the slot 1 carts good!! (that of course was the big question)
I didn`t realize about the slot 2 stuff, Thanks good to know.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have large hands (like myself) you will probably find a DS phat much more comfortable to hold and play. My Lite cramps my hands.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
If you have large hands (like myself) you will probably find a DS phat much more comfortable to hold and play. My Lite cramps my hands.

Or you can wait for a DSi LL
rofl.gif

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BlackDave said:
injected11 said:

rofl.gif
Read the OP. His options are trading stuff for a spare DS phat, or keeping his stuff.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
BlackDave said:
injected11 said:

rofl.gif
Read the OP. His options are trading stuff for a spare DS phat, or keeping his stuff.

That was a joke man! i mean the
rofl.gif
is not there for nothing

lukands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
injected11 said:
I get that with the PSP also, I bought those retractable grips, best $5 spent.
Maybe somebody should invent the similar thing for the ds series?

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
DS Phat... Fatter, darker, ugly.
DS Lite... Brighter, smaller.
Fixed that for you
smile.gif

I wouldn't say the Lite is better, it's much less comfy to hold, and the buttons/d-pad are a pile of shit. I'm thinking of replacing the button pads on mine since I had to practically crush it just for it to recognise I pressed A/B/X/Y. Also, GBA games stick out, making it a pain in the ass (literally, when it's in your pocket).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4