DS #3332: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time (Japan)

bigfarter

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok quick question,

with all the different flashcards and the cheat.dat problems.

why dont people just release a patch for the rom itself ? cos then it would work with ANY flashcard right?!

this is how they did it on gba and there was never was so many problems as on ds ..

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
bigfarter said:
ok quick question,

why dont people just release a patch for the rom itself ? cos then it would work with ANY flashcard right?!

this is how they did it on gba and there was never was so many problems as on ds ..

You can make a patch with DSATM or maybe its already been done and available to download somewhere. Patching DS games is different from GBA its not just simple ips patches. I think some carts cant even run the games patched.

B

ball2012003

i love co op online it is so fun
i just hate how everyone quits after we beat a mission

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
bigfarter said:
ok quick question,

You can make a patch with DSATM or maybe its already been done and available to download somewhere. Patching DS games is different from GBA its not just simple ips patches. I think some carts cant even run the games patched.
That's not true. An ips patch can make the necessary changes as you're applying it to a single known file and don't have to change the file size (although sometimes the size of the ips file would make it a poor choice, depending on how radical the changes are -- if you're patching a game that comes on a DVD and applying subtitles to all its movies, for instance, an IPS patch would be huge, while a 'smarter' patch can unpack the DVD and patch the internal files individually.) All an ips file contains is the difference between the current file and the changed version you want to make. If you were making huge changes to an NDS rom you might want to use a DS-specific patch format that can unpack it like that, but for something minor like an antipiracy fix it would be unnecessary (you can probably fix this by just changing a few bytes.)

Now, more detailed patch formats specific to the file-type being patched can be helpful if, say, you want your patch to work on both a trimmed and untrimmed ROM (which an IPS patch often wouldn't), or if you otherwise want to ensure it will work with different variations on the file... and sometimes it can save space.

However, cheats and ips patches are different. Cheats work by modifying the memory as the game is running. IPS patches work by modifying the game's hard "read-only" data, the stuff that would be in the cart if you owned an official version. It is not necessarily easy to translate from one to the other. And aside from that, cheats have the advantage that there is an organized way of distributing them -- all you have to do is stay up to date on Narin's latest cheat database, say, and it will have anti-piracy cheats for every known game that needs them (at least, when they've been discovered), even if you don't have the game yet or don't realize that it needs it. That way if you're on the go and unexpectedly hit an antipiracy problem, you can just open the cheats and turn them on, instead of having to go home, look up the patch, download it, put it on your card, apply it, etc.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@Ruri
Actually, its possible to patch a game by injecting the actual game with a ASM routine that loads the cheats up when the game starts up. Thats what DSATM does, it basically injects a trainer into the game that loads up when the game loads up. So its possible to patch the game using DSATM and create an IPS patch file containing the patched code.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ichigosj said:
so how playable is this without knowing japanse
If you played FFCC: RoF on the DS, you should be familiar enough with the controls / menus to get through it. Things have changed a little in this version, but it's not drastic enough to be unfamiliar.

I'm sure I'm one of many who have zero knowledge of Japanese, and are enjoying the game right now.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can play the game fine without knowing Japanese. Unfortunately, I'm stuck near the beginning at the library right after the guy teaches you about stacking magic spells to make them more powerful. No clue what to do right after that scene...

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I can play the game fine without knowing Japanese. Unfortunately, I'm stuck near the beginning at the library right after the guy teaches you about stacking magic spells to make them more powerful. No clue what to do right after that scene...
If you're stuck where I think you are, you have to go outside the library and talk to people in the courtyard until a new destination opens up in the world map.

sa1amandra

Gazzaro Launching!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone know what the tatics are in the Tatics Screen? (the one with a 4x6 grid with words in the front) if you put your character portrait in a diffrent block, they will act diffrently.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sa1amandra said:
Anyone know what the tatics are in the Tatics Screen? (the one with a 4x6 grid with words in the front) if you put your character portrait in a diffrent block, they will act diffrently.
It's 5 rows, 4 columns. Each column is for an active party member. Which row you put the party member in dictates how the AI controls their actions during battle.

As near as I can tell, and by using some rough translations from other boards:

First row - Follows the main character around
Second - Full offense
Third - Won't use magic
Fourth - Focus on healing
Fifth - Uses attack magic

I just recently figured out that you can add members to your party at a booth in town (I've just been soloing with a Selkie), so I'll update more specifics as I watch the AI of party members.

Anj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it purely japanese? Not even a single Japanese word? *brings out a google japanese translator* Problem is, my comp doesnt have japanese texts
frown.gif

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anj said:
Is it purely japanese? Not even a single Japanese word? *brings out a google japanese translator* Problem is, my comp doesnt have japanese texts
frown.gif
Then Install it.
In Windows it's under Control Panel -> Keyboard

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SmileMan said:
Guys, only a question. Yes, i don't know a single Japanese word... How to enter in WiFi mode?
save crystal->option 2(multiplayer)->nintendo wifi
that's the wifi screen.
top option is to connect to wifi, bottom is to set some messages and enter FC's (1st=FC, 2nd and 3rd=messages).

when connected to wifi you get 3 options.
first is join random party, 2nd and 3rd i don't know yet.

to quit choose the multiplayer option twice at a save crystal.

SmileMan

Trophies
Website
nintendoring.net
XP
Country
Italy
thedicemaster said:
SmileMan said:
Guys, only a question. Yes, i don't know a single Japanese word... How to enter in WiFi mode?
save crystal->option 2(multiplayer)->nintendo wifi
that's the wifi screen.
top option is to connect to wifi, bottom is to set some messages and enter FC's (1st=FC, 2nd and 3rd=messages).

when connected to wifi you get 3 options.
first is join random party, 2nd and 3rd i don't know yet.

to quit choose the multiplayer option twice at a save crystal.
Thx! Thx really much.
smile.gif

Aww, first match, and the only party member quitted. ç.ç xD!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp