DS #1474: Crash of the Titans (USA)

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I liked Crash on the PSX, hell, I even liked Twinsanity, or the 15 mins. I played of it.

Is this one good?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I liked Crash on the PSX, hell, I even liked Twinsanity, or the 15 mins. I played of it.

Is this one good?
Me too.
Same question.
yaynds.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Love these games on the PS. Though looking at the screenshots on Gamespot I reckon playing at that weird half-3D angle would be an absolute bastard on the DS. The 2d approach of the GBA version looks like it'll work better on a handheld. Still, I suppose you can't say until you've actually tried it.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what little I played of it so far, it's a lot like the old PSX Crash games. This is a good thing. The graphics are very nice and look almost exactly like those PSX games too.

It mostly uses the D-Pad and buttons, but a little touchscreen is used for selecting health potions and other various helper items.

It's not side-scrolling 3D, it's forward 3D type, just like the old PSX games. It actually seems pretty decent. I'm somewhat impressed.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, dump heaven!

Sure, this game might not be awesome, but if it's like Rayder says -- akin to the original PS Crash game -- that could be fun. This game and the previous two dumps, along with PH, Chibi Robo and ASH (heck even Chronos Twin) make for quite a full week.

Feast or famine...feast or famine.
happy.gif

DeepFriedAsian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what little I played of it so far, it's a lot like the old PSX Crash games. This is a good thing. The graphics are very nice and look almost exactly like those PSX games too.

It mostly uses the D-Pad and buttons, but a little touchscreen is used for selecting health potions and other various helper items.

It's not side-scrolling 3D, it's forward 3D type, just like the old PSX games. It actually seems pretty decent. I'm somewhat impressed.
That's it, I'm downloading this. It'll probably be a staple in my M3.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a surprise!

At first you think its a mindless button basher and you think "why is Crash kicking and punching? I wanna spin damn it!". But then you play the second level and it all becomes clear that this is a different game to the other Crashes. Its still a button masher but its fun.

Ok I'd prefer if this was like the PSX games, sorry but I'm a retro head and I miss those sort of games but so far it appears to be a pretty good 3D platformer...which is very rare for the DS and very welcome.

Looks nice too, very smooth textures none of that muddy, blocky stuff you get in some games.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, dump heaven!

Sure, this game might not be awesome, but if it's like Rayder says -- akin to the original PS Crash game -- that could be fun. This game and the previous two dumps, along with PH, Chibi Robo and ASH (heck even Chronos Twin) make for quite a full week.

Feast or famine...feast or famine.Â
happy.gif
Alright. Here's sort of a review. (from about 5 minutes of gameplay)

Graphics
Overall, I am very impressed with the graphics so far. They look as good as the PSX versions (if not better). Crash looks a lot different than I remember him, though I think that's intentional. Overall (from what I've seen) the textures and models look very good for a DS game.

Score: 8.0/10 - Not perfect, but very good for DS (could probably have been better)

Sound
Now the voice acting isn't exactly the best. I would have picked different voices. Cortex doesn't sound ANYTHING like I would have imagined him. However, this game does have voice acting and that is very impressive (not the best thing to do with the space, but it something).

Score: 8.5/10 for sound quality, 6.3/10 for acting and poor decisions

Gameplay
Now, this game may LOOK a lot like its PSX counterparts, but it does not play it - in the sense that there is a different way of defeating enemies. You no longer have to jump onto them, but now you have to punch and kick them in order to defeat them. For the sake of nostalgia, I would have preferred jumping, but I'm biased.

Score: 7.5/10 - Playable, in fact very good, but imo, it doesn't live up to the old Crash games.

Overall
This is a good game overall, and while it may have its flaws, it is a welcome addition to the DS system.

Score: 7.7/10

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I value both your opinions and will try because of them. So I will have at least two other people besides myself to blame for trying this game.

puff1983

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NONE of the Crash Bandacoot games have ever been fairly fun.

They're all shit.

Awwwww com'on, the first couple of games were at the very least decent. Sure it wasn't Metal Gear or Tomb Raider but it kept you busy for about 5min.

(That's how long it took me until I found out the game was better used as a coaster.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-