DS #1448: Race Driver: Create and Race (Europe)

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to try this one out and see if it's as good as I hoped.
biggrin.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent framerate, apparently it goes at 60fps. Its a shame they've made turning corners stupid but if you brake before you turn with the accelerator on you can get through them with no problems.

Track editing is very good, made a Yoshi shaped track from Mario Kart DD. The races seem very short though.

The sound is quite poor, sounds like someone grinding metal.

Graphically, its the best looking racer but gameplay I preferred Asphalt GT 2 as I had more fun on it, but opinion may change once I've played it more.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent framerate, apparently it goes at 60fps. Its a shame they've made turning corners stupid but if you brake before you turn with the accelerator on you can get through them with no problems.

Track editing is very good, made a Yoshi shaped track from Mario Kart DD. The races seem very short though.

Graphically, its the best looking racer but gameplay I preferred Asphalt GT 2 as I had more fun on it, but opinion may change once I've played it more.
ohmy.gif
So what score out of 10 would you give it?(from what you've played so far)

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent framerate, apparently it goes at 60fps. Its a shame they've made turning corners stupid but if you brake before you turn with the accelerator on you can get through them with no problems.

ohmy.gif
So what score out of 10 would you give it?(from what you've played so far)
Well so far 7/10. Tracks are just way too short for me, Online should be good but I won't know until I see a mate of mine later as I don't have wireless connection. From what I've played I'd say my score could go up to say 7.5 but theres fun to have with this.

Although technically its great to look at, its also bland. I preferred the inner city of say AGT2 and that game was a lot more frenzied. Some people will disagree with me though. I prefer proper racers like this one but the shortness of the tracks just lose any tenseness 'cos as soon as you make it to 1st position, the race is over!

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's the way the cars actually work.
I've driven before and cars in real life respond a lot better than the ones in this game!

I was hasty with my initial opinion as the more I play this the less I like it, its just..so damn dull!! Tried most of the type of tracks and some are nice to race on and others are just really dull. The AI of the drivers, actually do they have AI?? They just seem to follow one determined path and they just let you get passed them with complete ease!

Some of the cars you drive make playing this even worse, its just stupid that they've chosen such vehicles for you to play, its just not fun at all I'm afraid.
frown.gif

I was expecting to like this better than what the reviews say, I expected this to be more fun despite controls but I got used to the controls and soon after got bored.

Some people will love it however but for me, its getting deleted.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright! This is a lot like the PC Race Driver games. You can't just floor it all the time. You actually have to brake if you expect to make it around corners. While the cars DO get damaged, it doesn't actually show the damage on the cars during the race or in replays (yes, it has replays), but you have damage indicators on the map screen as you race and your car's performance deteriorates if you smack the walls too many times......as it SHOULD be.

Graphics run smooth, like 60fps, but are kind of sparse and bland. Don't let the bland graphics turn you off though, it has a really good sense of speed. Corners can be hard to see forcing you to keep an eye on the map to see when turns are coming up.....either that or you are forced to learn the track before racing (you can "practice" tracks). Bonnet or chase cam is recommended, IMO, as bumper cam will further limit your ability to see the turns coming up and your view will be blocked by cars in front of you.

This is an actual racing simulation game as opposed to just another arcadey racer. Something the DS badly needed. You really have to concentrate on the race or you'll never win. Let your concentration waver for even a second and you'll be saying hello to Mr. Wall. Anyone expecting to just breeze through this game will be sorely disappointed and highly frustrated. Arcade racing fans need not apply.

Me likey!

I've only played a couple races in the "Free Race" mode at this point and I'm heading out of town today in a couple hours, so I won't really be able to play it until later this afternoon, but this looks like a seriously hardcore racing game for our humble DS.

At this point, judging by what I've seen so far, I'd give this game a solid 8. A very solid 8. Maybe even a tentative 9. It is exactly what I expected it to be for a Race Driver branded game. Very well done.

Someone else will have to comment on the WiFi part of the game as I don't bother to play games online.

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hadrian's word is gold. Didn't think the developers would've focused on fun physics in such a racing game anyway. Here's hoping the create-a-pinball one fares better. Now, where's Zelda? Only 24 more hours until the moon crashes.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P

pasc

This game is the best racing game so far, but there are two things I HATE:

1. In Singlecardlinkplay you CAN'T use your own created tracks *sniff*
2. In Singlecardlinkplay you can only use one kind of cars
frown.gif

Aside from this: VERY Good ! I need to get used to the physics (which are the reason why I hate PC Racing games), but it still is very good ! And it got 8 Slots for the Track Designer, WTF ? YEAH ! I already noticed it when doing a suicide worms map: Custom customizeable content rocks on the DS, creating maps for DTM is very cool too ! I hope the Developer keep up this creating your own stuff things ^^.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD