Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by purplesludge, Jun 19, 2009.

Jun 19, 2009

Dreamcast by purplesludge at 11:56 PM (1,264 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. purplesludge
    OP

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    So I read you can burn dreamcast games to cdrs and they will play if you have a dreamcast made before 2000. How do I tell when the dreamcast was made?
    It is a US dreamcast.

2. jphriendly

Member jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Look at the sticker on the bottom of the machine and see when it was made. Should say "MANUFACTURED:" or "MFG:", to the best of my knowledge. You can also look for a model number and use that to find out if it will play them.

*edit* I know that the machines with hkt-3020 as their model number will play them. Not too sure about the ones labeled hkt-3021...It's been awhile. You could always just burn one off and test it. Not like wasting a CD will break the bank. [​IMG]

3. purplesludge
    OP

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

The reason I was asking because it doesn't have any controllers or cords with it and I would have to buy them. So testing wasn't really an option for me.

4. jphriendly

Member jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No problem..Like I said, It's been awhile since I messed with mine..Years actually. Hope that helped you out a bit [​IMG]

5. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Once I read that all Dreamcasts will play CDRs *EXCEPT* the last model Japanese ones (mostly the Hello Kitty pink/blue ones)... I thought all PAL and USA consoles were safe... (or maybe that was only all PAL)...

6. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    dreamcast was my first console I ran emulators on its was so amazing to me for the times. And who could forget that friggin reindeer.

[​IMG]

7. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

thats what eventually led to dreamcasts downfall i think~~

8. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My folks bought me one when it first came out, didn't ask for it cause I was waiting on the PS2 (Didn't even get a PS2 when it came out until the slim version cause of college, women, life), I don't think I played it more than 3 hrs in the whole time I've owned it! Its been in the box for almost all of its life, it can play burned disc cause I've tried Rise of the Triad on it and it played fine. It's sad cause I'd rather play my genesis over it, never even bothered with the saturn either, both the saturn and dreamcast where failures (unless you have emulation/homebrew on the DC which isn't even much of a reason to own it with a powerful PC).

9. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia

Nope, the Sega CD, 32X, Sega Nomad, Sega CDX and the Sega Saturn (which was good admittedly, but failed). All managed to ruin Segas reputation enough so that by the time they decided to release something decent, the public didn't trust them enough for it to survive.

10. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you removed the Nomad and replaced with the GameGear, I'd believe it! I love my nomad and played it more than my DC or GameGear, only thing wrong with the nomad was the great wasn't great (a little washed out) and horrible battery life, I'm sure the newer rechargable batteries would rock compared to the rechargeable batteries at the time could only supply around 1.2v when a regular battery was 1.5v.

Otherwise, the nomad rocked, had a extra port for a controller to be hooked up and could hook it up to the TV, very good and portable system as long as you took the av cable, ac adapter and a 2nd controller if you wanted to play against friends.

Never bought the Sega CD, but did have the POS 32X which I gave away, bulky and didn't do a damn thing.

Also It didn't help that shortly after release of the DC that (I think CEO of America) was let go.

There is videos on the YT about the history (The history of Sega Dreamcast Part 1/2 and 2/2):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NfgF08EQE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e27kjhZXQqE...feature=related

11. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I have got to disagree with you on the Nomad issue. Yes it was cool having a portable Genesis, yes it had some nice features like the extra controller port and TV out. But strictly speaking as a handheld, it failed in all things a handheld should be designed for. It was a huge brick, Ive seen one, its massive. The battery life was pitiful, around one hour game time and it was horrendously over priced for its time. It was in no way portable at all, so it fails in my eyes.

The game gear although bulky and power hungry, at least was somewhat portable, and at least gave you a half decent play time of around six hours. I am not saying the Game Gear was a great handheld, just that it was better then Nomad in doing what a handheld should do.