Gaming Dragon Quest Series..

winrehs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dragon Quest Series on the DS for me is not that great. But still can be a good game(not great). Want to know why?

1. BATTLE SCENES - It seems they didn't put a lot of effort in the battle scenes. At least make it like the PS2's version of Dragon Quests like DQ VIII.

2. Character animation- So OLD. I remember playing the first DQ and up until now, nothings changed!

What I like about DQ series on DS?

1. Story - I really love how they deliver the story line ( It goes also from way back then and for the PS2 Series)

2. Sound Effects - I think they put a lot of effort in this category and forgot about the animation.

3. Up to date series - Self-explanatory.

Still, this game is one of Good games out in the market today.

DatVietDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you can't expect good graphic on a portable... Because of the limitation, they had to scale down the animation.

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thats funny, I thought the battle animations and graphics were amazing. They were so fluid. The first-person perspective is a Dragon Quest trait, you can't say they didn't put effort, thats how it's always been. It's just fine that way in my opinion. You could just wait for Dragon Quest IX if the battles are that much of a problem.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a faint feeling I know why this thread popped up... still, you make some interesting and plausible points here.

winrehs said:
1. BATTLE SCENES - It seems they didn't put a lot of effort in the battle scenes. At least make it like the PS2's version of Dragon Quests like DQ VIII.
I guess you're talking about the first-person view during the battle sequences. I'd say the main reason why that happens is because the game is supposed to be "told" from the scope of the adventurer - in that case, the player himself (it's the same reason why the protagonist never has a name and is always silent - the hero is supposed to be you, so he doesn't get many personality traits).
When the game goes first-person during battles, it tries to simulate your point of view, how YOU would face the monsters in case you "were there". Sure, they could have changed this a bit some way or another in the followings releases of the series, but DQ is well known in japan for it's familiarity, so...

QUOTE(winrehs @ Jan 18 2009, 11:20 PM) 2. Character animation- So OLD. I remember playing the first DQ and up until now, nothings changed!
Hey, here I'll have to disagree. Some of the games have some real smooth monsters' animation, DQ3 on the GBC or DQ5 on the DS are some pretty good examples of this (ok, PSX's DQ7 was the exact opposite, with morbidly static frames).
Then again, I won't deny it could be changed in some ways. Things like the overworld setting and animations outside of the battle weren't being as polished as they could ever since the PS1. Only after Enix's fusion with Square that they decided to give the game a new type of depth, as seen on DQVIII, Monsters: Joker and the upcoming DQIX. But I personally don't mind the classic style the IV, V and VI remakes retained.

winrehs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply guys, I guess for me it would've been better if the BATTLE SCENES were like DQ Monster: Joker. Anyway, I don't have any grudge for the people who loves the first-person view in the battle scenes.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I just think they are trying to have that "retro" feeling, and keep the spirit of original while remaking these games!

I actually really like how all this games feel and look like..I can't wait for V to come out, and IX is really one of most anticipating games on NDS for me....I actually thought it'll never be released at some point, because there were no news about it, and that games is announced before few years!

winrehs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DRAGON QUEST IX is the GAME! No questions asked. That game is what I'm talking about, DQ IX is a MASTERPIECE. It is a contender for the RPG games. Everything about DQ IX is Great:

Graphics: 9/10 - Due to limitation of DS graphics

Sound: 10/10 - One word: AWESOME

Animation: 10/10 - That's what I'm talking about.

Story: 10/10 - Every DQ series is a 10/10 story.

Gameplay: 9/10 - Repetitive, but, give me an RPG that it isn't.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
winrehs said:
DRAGON QUEST IX is the GAME! No questions asked. That game is what I'm talking about, DQ IX is a MASTERPIECE. It is a contender for the RPG games. Everything about DQ IX is Great:

Ugh. Are you serious?
rolleyes.gif

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 beats it hands DOWN. So does DQ5.

winrehs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
JDandy said:
winrehs said:

Ugh. Are you serious?
rolleyes.gif

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 beats it hands DOWN. So does DQ5.

Uhmmm...Did you ever watched the trailer for DQ IX?
lecture.gif
Sheesh.

quikshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Dragon Quest is a fairly decent game. I'm not the biggest fan, considering I hate Joker, Monster's Quest (something like taht sry^^). But Dragon Quest, all of them, are fairly good. The graphics, aren't the best, especially for the ds, but it's considerably a good game.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
winrehs said:

Wait....how could you talk like that about the game that hasn't even been released yet?!

You can't get ratings from watching the trailer..
huh.gif

Game could have all kinds of problems when released (I'm guessing it won't have) but framerate could be low, sound might be repetitive etc.
YOu have to wait and play the game, and then have such opinion about it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr