Gaming Dragon Quest on DS?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest V is pretty good, it has a very good story, interesting characters, and is a nice remake; plus there's a pretty amazing Monster Taming hack for it, too.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
All the DQ games on the DS are top notch stuff, IV, V, VI and IX are all great games, the graphics have been heavily improved from the snes ones, but it retained the original charm they had, my favourite one of the bunch is DQV, it has always been my fave DQ mainly because you live three whole different family generations in that one (as a child, as a young adult and lastly as a father). Oh, IX is new tho, but it's really good as well, unlike the other ones you don't really have friends that affect the story since they're all NPC's you make or just generated (not including the ones you get later on) but it's a really solid game, on which I spent over 150h.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest IX. Got it late 2010 and I still play it every day.

If you're looking for a game with great replay value, I would almost rank DQ9 over Smash Bros!

In DQ9, the after-story stuff is actually fun, unlike most games. It's still challenging as well; even more so than the main story!

Reactions: 2 people

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Three of the four main story Dragon Quest games are actually remakes of older Dragon Quest games. The fourth is an entirely new game made to continue the series.
  • Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Remake of Dragon Warrior IV for the NES.
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - Remake of Dragon Quest V: Hands of the Heavenly Bride for the SFC (was never brought to America)
  • Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Remake of Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation for the SFC (was never brought to America)
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - Entirely new game with hundreds of hours of content
There are also side-story Dragon Quest games on the Nintendo DS. Here is a list of the localized games:
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
  • Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest characters are also featured in Itadaki Street, a Japan-only Monopoly clone, though this game is being localized on the Wii if you really wanted to play it.

Now, would I recommend any of these games? A definite yes. All of them are high quality and worth playing, especially if you've played and liked any of the Dragon Quest / Dragon Warrior games. If you never play one, you'll find a copy of one in the future when you're old and wrinkly and try it because you're old and bored, and then cry because you never played the game before.

Reactions: 1 person

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to say I logged 270 hours on DQ9, as opposed to 130 on my Pokemon Ruby (which I LOVE and still play), so that tells you something.

I might call it quits at 500 hours, because I should finally have my entire 4-member team to level 99 in every vocation, all the revocation items, and main character revocated 10 times. Even Level 99 Nokturnus can't beat me then! :tpi:

Oh yeah, in case you were wondering, Nokturnus is not another person but a BOSS.
That's right, you can level up bosses for a bigger challenge!

linuxdude2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow
Thanks for all of the informative replays guys
I've read every reply and will have to try every DQ game on my DS I guess
Because everyone seems to love almost all of the games and others like other DQ games than other users
I'll have to find another Micro SD card for my R4 though because I don't have nearly enough room left on this card I'm currently using
Hehe
Dedicate a Micro SD card to DQ!!

EDIT:
Spelling error

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
One thing: make sure if you're using a flashcart to play the games (of course, after you buy them), take the following into consideration:

1) There was a version of the DQ9 ROM going around that was about 128MB, half of what it should be. THIS IS THE DS BRICKER!!
2) If you play DQ9 on a flashcart, you won't be able to abuse the PRNG, for example with Hoimi Tables to get rare drops and Alchemiracles 100% of the time.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
1) There was a version of the DQ9 ROM going around that was about 128MB, half of what it should be. THIS IS THE DS BRICKER!!
The DS Bricker version isn't as common as it used to be. As long as you download from a site you download from frequently and it's never wronged you, you'll be okay. However, as the DS Bricker is still a threat, be extremely careful. Check the ROM out in DSLazy.

If OP is that worried about getting a bricker ROM, then they could borrow a friend's copy and dump the game themself.

ekko25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't played the other Dragon Quest games for DS, but Dragon Quest IX is incredible. My play time is about 200 hours, and there's still stuff for me to do. I highly recommend it.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing you should know before you start playing a Dragon Quest game is that the series hasn't changed much since the NES days. The increased power of today's systems allows for better graphics and longer storylines, and the English localizations have definitely improved, but at their heart, the Dragon Quest games of today are much the same beast as the NES Dragon Warrior games; the combat system is that of a fairly standard turn-based JRPG, and plotlines tend to be fairly standard "chosen hero saves the world" fare.

Most of what makes recent entries to the series stand out from other JRPGs is that Dragon Quest has a sense of humor. Storylines are lighthearted and characters crack jokes (or are the butt of running jokes, such as Yangus and Trode in DQ8). The characters and monsters are designed by Akira Toriyama (well, they always have been, but it's become much more apparent since Dragon Quest 8), and tend to look silly, or have some rather unusual attacks. For example, Witches have the Puff-Puff skill. If you don't know what that is, look it up. And then laugh at the hilarious mental image, and the fact that they will frequently use the attack on your female party members.

Reactions: 1 person

linuxdude2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for letting me know about the fake DS bricker version
I appreciate it
Otherwise I would be not so happy if my DS would have died
Thanks guys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: