DQ IX, Help with Graphic Extraction?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Dr Awesomo, Aug 13, 2010.

Aug 13, 2010
  1. Dr Awesomo
    OP

Newcomer Dr Awesomo Advanced Member

Canada
    Anyone who's played DQIX (Dragon Quest 9) long enough to get their second treasure map, will know that it's fairly difficult to pinpoint the location of the grotto in question without a reference that's larger than the one you're given (With a few exeptions, maybe)

So, my plan was simple: The game comes loaded with maps, and you see a fairly detailed one at the top of your screen every minute you're in the field... The World map you see when you press Y, or whilst on your ship isn't zoomed in enough to be able to match up with treasure map references, so why not just extract the maps from the .NDS, and stitch them into one Super-Map?!

I think it's a good idea, and deep down, you do too (Unless this has already been done, and i'm just wasting my breath). But, maybe you can tell me how to do this.

When you pull apart the DQ9 ROM, it's nice enough to provide a folder dedicated to "maps", making the search that much easier. However, I have no idea as to how to look at them, and edit them as I see fit. They come in the following formats, and most likely includes every map in the game, be it dungeon, field, city, and the likes. How many there are is debatable, i'm not going to count, but I'd wager it's kissin' the 750+ mark

[.ambl] [ .ambj] [.chr] (Rarely) [.mse] (only one or two...or 7)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Theres already a website that shows where the treasure map locations are.....

3. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    There's probably a better place, but Gamefaqs has a picture listing of all treasure map locations.

4. Dr Awesomo
    OP

Canada
    Well, more than likely, yes. But they all utilize a small scale map.

This project i'm trying to undergo is more for personal use, but I can easily see it being helpful to others.
    I take it you've played the game, and know what the upper map screen looks like. Much more detailed, as it's a smaller, zoomed in portion of the map.
    I wish to stitch these pieces together in order to form something of a Master Map, one which can, when paired with the also zoomed in treasure maps, can pinpoint those locations exactly.
    Among other things, of course, this map can also be used to cleanly identify material farms, and all in all, would make a great reference to any DQ IX player.

However, i'm interested to know about this map you speak of, outlining all of the grotto locations...
    It'll help give me something to do in the meantime, as I try to figure out how to view the files i need to see [​IMG]

5. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
  6. Dr Awesomo
    OP

Canada