Gaming Downloading games?

Tragedies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm new around here so I'm not sure if this discussion is allowed, so if it isn't please delete this thread.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows a fast way to download Wii ISOs apart from torrents. Torrents seem to go slow for me (around 10kb/s) and take ages. And Im still wanting Brawl but at 8GB it would slow down my internet easily (25GB monthly cap, ugh, Aussie internet). Ive heard a few people talking about Newsgroups but I have no idea what this is or how it works, but I'm guessing its really fast? Much appreciated for your help guys.

- Mikey

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't really begin to explain what newsgroups is for you really. I would recommend reading the wikipedia article on Usenet though for a good outline of what it does/how it works. It is pretty easy to use from a downloading point of view. I'm sure someone here could give you a good source of information on how to go about using it.

What I will say though is as you have a capped net connection, you might want to look into your ISPs own newsgroup service and find out if they give access to binaries, essentially the download of files rather than just messages, as in some cases, and I will stress that this doesn't happen very often, some ISPs will not count the bandwidth against you on their own services. The downside to it though is usually that their own newsgroup serive has a pretty low retention of postings, normally between 3-5 days worth. but, basically that's something worth looking into.

Oh, and to answer your thought on the speed of your download, it is more than reasonable to expect that you will max out your connection with it providing you have a good nntp server to connect to. I hope I have been able to help you a little bit.

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only option for you really is to get a paid for account with an independent Newsgroups service. Most providers tend to charge for usage based on bandwidth which should be especially suited to you as you are already capped by your ISP. I couldn't really tell you who can provide a good, reliable premium service though as I get my access through my ISP.

Slightly off topic, 25GB a month bandwidth cap for a broadband connection in this day and age is incredibly harsh even if the connection was used for a completely legal purpose as opposed to the grey area of usenet. I had heard stories about Telstra's service in the past but didn't realise it was that harsh. Really, you have my sympathy.

Back on topic again, if you are looking seriously for Usenet acccess as a means to supply, it would probably suit you a lot better as for 2 reasons it would benefit you greatly. You don't have to upload with Usenet, plus if you go with a premium service of say, whatever cost it is for 10GB (which I believe for the most part is reasonably priced with most newsgroup access providers), with that 10GB download you will have a way to measure how much you've downloaded in a month so you shouldn't get penalised by Telstra for it.

Tragedies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah they're quiet annoying. Im hoping to change to another ISP which provides 150GB (110GB off peak) soon enough. >_> Still wanting Brawl, heh.

indokid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get rapidshare premium?
i'm on 15mbps adsl and am getting 1000-1500 kB/s download speed easily

google the rapidshare links

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tragedies said:
Torrents seem to go slow for me (around 10kb/s) and take ages.
I usually get 500kb/s on a private one and 220kb/s on public. Thats using uTorrent and with my 2mb connection.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Torrents can be as fast as your connection allows. Using torrents, I can download at 1.5MB/s. It takes less than an hour to download a full iso.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My private tracker gives me a speed of between 1.5 & 2.0 mbps, using uTorrent.

Rapidshare can be good for a lot of people ... however, they will restrict your access from time to time, even under Premium, if you have been downloading too much in a short space of time.

They usually cut me off after 25gb, in any 5 day period ... they only cut me off for about 12 hours though, usually.

Torrents are also restricted not only by your download speed, but by other peoples upload speeds, and some public trackers are notoriously slow.

indokid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah rapidshare premium has a limit of 25gb per 5 days
i think its a fair limit though, for its reasonable price i get max speed download on anything i want.. ~ 1 game per day

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/knyBygUiKLI?si=BkBsC-TZ4OrZoiPk