Download speed...?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aijelsop, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Aijelsop Question Asker

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2010
    United States
    Here, speedtest (image 1) says 1.7mbp/s and when downloading something, I get about 100-200kbp/s... (image 2)

http://imgur.com/a/lo1fx (2 images)

Why?

2. I am r4ymond

I am r4ymond PFE

Sep 18, 2009
    United States
    Ionia
    If you want to measure your download speed or upload speed in Kilobytes per second, go to http://speedtest.net/user-settings.php. Under "Speed Measurement," use the drop-down box and select kilobytes then hit save.

EDIT: Nvm. I read too quickly.

3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Some sources throttle you HARD.

Try downloading the same file from 2 different sources at once (DownThemAll supports this) or using multithreaded downloaders (again, DTA).

4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I see no issue. Speedtest is is showing Mb/s and download is in KB/s. Seems about right, 1.7Mb/s would be around 212KB/s, so 192KB/s is not far off it.

5. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    There are two reasons, your download speed the browser is reporting is in bytes as Armadillo suggested and speedtest is in bits (divide bits by 8 to get bytes).

The other reason if you are getting a slower download speed is that the server cannot manage the bandwidth at the moment.

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    8 bits in a byte, so divide that speed by 8 to get your filesize download speed.

EDIT: Holy crap I'm slow.