Hacking Downgrading Browser for Emunand

Necrojinsei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to my understanding you can downgrade your browser so that you can run the spider exploit on the old 3ds. But is it possible to use the same method to downgrade the browser on the New3ds emunand so that it can allow for spider hacks?

The reason I'm asking is that I have never seen the question asked and am having a hard time finding any direct tutorial on how to do the process for the old 3ds. Now I think the answer to my own question is no, for the reason that Nintendo's solution to the problem is packaged with the New3ds and thus won't work regardless of browser version. But does anyone have more info or ideas about this possible solution?

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The N3DS uses a different browser (Skater instead of Spider) than the O3DS, so downgrading the N3DS's browser won't allow for Spider exploits. I know a while ago some people were trying to install the Spider browser on the N3DS, but I don't think they were successful.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I had an idea that using an older version of Home Menu (something from the 7.x) might allow for Spider to be used on n3DS. Unfortunately I do not own a n3DS so I can't test this. This probably wouldn't be useful for emunand though since downgrading Home Menu means having no themes and what not. It's more for sysnand to perhaps allow for spider as an entry point. Unless you have a NAND mod, one should probably test this on a emunand backup to see if the idea even pans out.

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had an idea that using an older version of Home Menu (something from the 7.x) might allow for Spider to be used on n3DS. Unfortunately I do not own a n3DS so I can't test this. This probably wouldn't be useful for emunand though since downgrading Home Menu means having no themes and what not. It's more for sysnand to perhaps allow for spider as an entry point. Unless you have a NAND mod, one should probably test this on a emunand backup to see if the idea even pans out.
Will test and report back!

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Will test and report back!

That would be swell. Be sure to backup your emunand first. (this should be obvious). If you encounter a crash while uninstalling Home Menu, you can instead try a direct downgrade by using DevMeu 2.x with Gateway mode to install older Home Menu over existing one. I haven't tried uninstalling Home Menu before so I don't know how stable that would be doing it from FBI. Just don't attempt to use the Home Menu button until you install the replacement. You might have to cold boot the console afterwords even if the old one is installed as uninstalling the previous one might break the home button until you reboot.

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That would be swell. Be sure to backup your emunand first. (this should be obvious). If you encounter a crash while uninstalling Home Menu, you can instead try a direct downgrade by using DevMeu 2.x with Gateway mode to install older Home Menu over existing one. I haven't tried uninstalling Home Menu before so I don't know how stable that would be doing it from FBI. Just don't attempt to use the Home Menu button until you install the replacement. You might have to cold boot the console afterwords even if the old one is installed as uninstalling the previous one might break the home button until you reboot.
So after installing the Home Menu and Browser from 7.0.0-13 with devmenu 2.x emuNAND won't boot anymore. after loading my backup and installing both again, but going back to home instead of shutting down the console this time, I got into Home Menu. When i tried to launch the browser everything froze.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
If you reboot after exiting back to home menu see if it boots up correctly then. Though Home Menu would just ignore Skater as it wouldn't recognize it.

(though without rebooting, you could instead hit power button, then home button again as I think Home Menu actually exits when you do that. Which is why this has to be done to see changes in Home Menu theme extdata modifications)

Also you might get better results deleting the save data for Home Menu. The save game data for Home Menu might not be backwards compatible hence the freeze.

To do this, you can either format emunand with System Settings after downgrading Home Menu. (Though I'd only recommend doing this with an emunand that's not linked to an NNID to avoid losing NNID access on your backup) or manually delete the save/extdata for Home Menu.

What you could do is redo emunand from Gateway menu (so you have a copy of sysnand as your emunand. I would assume this one doesn't have an NNID tied to it). Or just inject a sysnand backup into emunand with emunand tool. That also works.

Then downgrade Home Menu and install Spider. Then exit without rebooting and go to System Settings and perform a format. (rename Nintendo 3DS folder if you had any content linked to that particular emunand image. If not I don't think it touches anything else on SD card. You can just remove it prior to formatting if you are concerned about that)

The other way is to instead manually delete the save game and extdata for Home Menu. Details on the folder locations for that is here:

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/System_SaveData

Note you will have to be able to decrypt your NAND's FAT16 partition and re-encrypt afterwords. It's a somewhat tidius process especially if you haven't done it before.

So perhaps try the System Format thing first.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Oh and also I think NS module is used for launching titles or at least I think that's what Home Menu uses to launch things. You might also have to downgrade that. I checked and there isn't a n3DS only version of that so you should be able to downgrade that as well. I know NS is involved with launching things in some fashion as Smealum's regionThree used that to get around region block of Home Menu I believe.

Title id for it is 0004013020008003 for Europe and 0004013020008002 for USA. (The version you are looking for is v11268 which was the version from 7.2) I'm not sure what region console you have so refer to the title list website if you don't have a Europe or USA console.

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh and also I think NS module is used for launching titles or at least I think that's what Home Menu uses to launch things. You might also have to downgrade that. I checked and there isn't a n3DS only version of that so you should be able to downgrade that as well. I know NS is involved with launching things in some fashion as Smealum's regionThree used that to get around region block of Home Menu I believe.

Title id for it is 0004013020008003 for Europe and 0004013020008002 for USA. (The version you are looking for is v11268 which was the version from 7.2) I'm not sure what region console you have so refer to the title list website if you don't have a Europe or USA console.
Why not v10248 for 7.0.0-13, because I have the home menu and browser of that version

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
You didn't tell me which version you chose. I just chose the latest 7.x version available. You can use 10248 instead as the version if you are using 7.0 Home Menu. Although I don't know why. 7.2 would probably be the best choice as it's the last version of 7.x before 8.x.

It's also the last time the browser was updated until 9.5 came out. So most 9.2 systems are infact using the web browser from 7.1 (assuming they were updated to 9.2 from CDN through normal means. Updates from Game carts don't install browser updates). So perhaps go with 7.1 or 7.2 for best browser compatibility.

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you reboot after exiting back to home menu see if it boots up correctly then. Though Home Menu would just ignore Skater as it wouldn't recognize it.

(though without rebooting, you could instead hit power button, then home button again as I think Home Menu actually exits when you do that. Which is why this has to be done to see changes in Home Menu theme extdata modifications)

Also you might get better results deleting the save data for Home Menu. The save game data for Home Menu might not be backwards compatible hence the freeze.

To do this, you can either format emunand with System Settings after downgrading Home Menu. (Though I'd only recommend doing this with an emunand that's not linked to an NNID to avoid losing NNID access on your backup) or manually delete the save/extdata for Home Menu.

What you could do is redo emunand from Gateway menu (so you have a copy of sysnand as your emunand. I would assume this one doesn't have an NNID tied to it). Or just inject a sysnand backup into emunand with emunand tool. That also works.

Then downgrade Home Menu and install Spider. Then exit without rebooting and go to System Settings and perform a format. (rename Nintendo 3DS folder if you had any content linked to that particular emunand image. If not I don't think it touches anything else on SD card. You can just remove it prior to formatting if you are concerned about that)

The other way is to instead manually delete the save game and extdata for Home Menu. Details on the folder locations for that is here:

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/System_SaveData

Note you will have to be able to decrypt your NAND's FAT16 partition and re-encrypt afterwords. It's a somewhat tidius process especially if you haven't done it before.

So perhaps try the System Format thing first.
So after installing Home Menu, Spider and NS from fw 7.0.0-13 on a linked emuNAND it freezes after trying to get to home menu.
Do you think installing spider and launching it through fbi could work?

I'm going to try everything with the stuff from fw 7.1.0-16 later, because it's late now there where I am.

Last edited by dedChar,

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I tried launching Spider from FBI on my o3DS. Get black screen crash. That's not going to work. (and besides, it defeats the purpose of using it if you have to launch FBI or other custom title to launch it) DevMenu will refuse to launch it.

Your best bet is to downgrade Home Menu and install Spider (but leave NS alone), then do a system format after exiting back to home menu. (don't attempt to launch System Settings from FBI, it will crash. This seems to be the case for any system app on NAND you attempt to launch from FBI)

If you downgrade System Settings you can avoid unlinking NNID or you can use a sysnand image from before you linked it to an NNID/system transfer to do a system format without messing up your NNID.

If that fails. Then n3DS will never be able to use Spider. Downgrading NS module might break more things then it's worth. I'm thinking NS module has to be be able to launch n3DS exclusive titles and needs to be able to read the exheader flags for that. The downgraded one wont be able to and any n3DS exclusive system titles/modules might not launch correctly. So downgraded NS module might break things or brick emunand.

At this point if you can't get Home Menu to work after a System Format, then nothing will and we can give up on using Spider on n3DS. :(

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried launching Spider from FBI on my o3DS. Get black screen crash. That's not going to work. (and besides, it defeats the purpose of using it if you have to launch FBI or other custom title to launch it) DevMenu will refuse to launch it.

Your best bet is to downgrade Home Menu and install Spider (but leave NS alone), then do a system format after exiting back to home menu. (don't attempt to launch System Settings from FBI, it will crash. This seems to be the case for any system app on NAND you attempt to launch from FBI)

If you downgrade System Settings you can avoid unlinking NNID or you can use a sysnand image from before you linked it to an NNID/system transfer to do a system format without messing up your NNID.

If that fails. Then n3DS will never be able to use Spider. Downgrading NS module might break more things then it's worth. I'm thinking NS module has to be be able to launch n3DS exclusive titles and needs to be able to read the exheader flags for that. The downgraded one wont be able to and any n3DS exclusive system titles/modules might not launch correctly. So downgraded NS module might break things or brick emunand.

At this point if you can't get Home Menu to work after a System Format, then nothing will and we can give up on using Spider on n3DS. :(
I can't get into Home Menu on my linked emuNAND with the 7.0 Home Menu installed, so I can't do a system format :(
Looks like no spider for n3ds

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I just remembered that I was able to boot System Settings using DevMenu 2.x. Not sure how I forgot about that. DevMenu might have to be installed to NAND for it to launch system titles correctly as in that instance I had it installed to NAND instead of SD card. (Normal CIAs will install it to SD card.)

In this instance it will be on emunand. But you get the idea. :P

dedChar

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just remembered that I was able to boot System Settings using DevMenu 2.x. Not sure how I forgot about that. DevMenu might have to be installed to NAND for it to launch system titles correctly as in that instance I had it installed to NAND instead of SD card. (Normal CIAs will install it to SD card.)

In this instance it will be on emunand. But you get the idea. :P
Hmm.. ok I'll give it a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: