Downgrading bricked wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shpinxis, Dec 29, 2010.

Dec 29, 2010

Downgrading bricked wii by Shpinxis at 7:05 PM (1,436 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Shpinxis
    OP

Newcomer Shpinxis Advanced Member

United States
    I have a friends wii who had 4.2 and was soft modded and then tryed to downgrade to 3.2 and even though it seemed like it was succesful the wii wont boot up now. It just gives a black screen and nothing.

it seems like ive tried all the gamecube controller stuff and nothing still happens.

I tried booting a system menu disc but i forget how to force boot it. and also is there some sd card foot boot or something

2. Reboot

Member Reboot GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why on earth would you want to downgrade?!?

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    newer wii's cannot run a 3.2 system menu UNLESS you first install IOS60v6174 to slot30... chances are good that you bricked yourself.

Do you have a nand backup? If so, you can send your Wii to DeadlyFoez and he can repair it using his infectus nand programmer to restorer your nand backup.

edit: this is a perfect example of how ModMii's extra brick protection comes in handy. If this wii had ModMii's extra brick protection installed (which includes IOS60v6174 installed to slot30), then making the mistake of installing a 3.2U system menu would not have resulted in a brick.

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Well...this seems pretty obvious: the system menu's use different IOS'es. That makes upgrading and downgrading a bit more obnoxious: you need not only to switch the system menu, but make sure to have the correct IOS installed as well (according to wiibrew, system menu 3.2 uses IOS 30).

The solution? I sure hope he has bootmii or priiloader installed. If not, he can use his wii as a nice paper weight. What the hell was he thinking downgrading it to begin with? Did he grew tired of having access to SDHC cards or something?

5. Shpinxis
    OP

United States
    it seems like ive tried all the gamecube controller stuff and nothing still happens.

I tried booting a system menu disc but i forget how to force boot it. and also is there some sd card foot boot or something

6. Lord-x

Newcomer Lord-x Member

Puerto Rico
    Same thing happened to me and there where nothing i could do. The wii was still under warranty so i sended to nintendo telling them i had an upgrade problem that damaged mi wii(wich is kind of what hapend) and they repaired for me.

7. Shpinxis
    OP

United States
    my friend is saying that bootmii was installed but i dont know if it was as an ios or to the boot2 but if the system was restored to another menu then it would delete bootmii if it was an ios but not as boot2 right

8. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Well, to find out for sure if he can have bootmii installed to boot2, have him compare his serial number to the ones in this thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=205180

If his serial number falls in the "Compatible" range then there is a chance to unbrick it by manually installing bootmii into boot2. But if his wii is incompatible then the only way to save that wii is with a nand backup.