Downgrading 3DS using GateWay 3.0.1 :)

Hello fellow GBATempers !:gba:
Along with the new Gateway update, new features / functions were added,and one of them is downgrading your SysNAND.

I made a simple tutorial on how to downgrade the 3DS using Gateway, i know that there are some posts already about it, just wanted to share mine, I tried to cover all the safety precautions.

Special thanks to SpongeFreak52 for providing some images / helping me / reviewing that tut.

------
Well folks, here's a tutorial on how to downgrade your 3DS to 4.2.0-9U (which is available on the gateway's website, I do not recommend using any other .dg file). We will be using the Gateway 3.0.1 on this tutorial, and I strongly recommend that you do the same.Mine worked without problems, and I know that it you work on yours if you do the step-by-step correctly.

I am NOT responsible for any damage caused to YOUR 3DS.

1.WARNING: DOWNGRADE MAKES YOUR GAME SAVES THAT WERE PLAYED IN SYSNAND UNUSABLE. There is no way to recover them, because starting from version 6.2 another type of encryption was being used, and therefore they can not be read by older versions.

2.WARNING: THIS TUTORIAL IS INTENDED TO WHO ALREADY HAS A EMUNAND, AND HAS THE MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE ABOUT SYSNAND / EMUNAND / GATEWAY.

1-Go to the website (http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads/) and download the Gateway 3.0.1, copy the Launcher.dat to the root of your SD card (which goes inside the 3DS)

2-Go to the website (http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads/) and download the downgrade file THAT MATCHES THE REGION OF YOUR 3DS.If American, USA; European, EUR, etc. Put this file "gateway.dg" in the root of your SD card (which goes inside the 3DS)

3-Turn on your 3DS, enter your browser, go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com and press "L" when the low turn white screen. Now, on the GateWay menu, go to "System Backup Nand". After that, click "Boot Classic Mode". After the 3DS enter sysNAND, turn it off, place the internal SD on the computer and make a backup of it, save it somewhere safe.

4- Turn your console to enter the sysnand it, remove the MicroSD / internal SD card and your Gateway .Format the system from the conf.meu. It mwill ask you to connect to the internet to be able format, go ahead, this is normal, the sysNAND will NOT be updated, only formatted. (ATTENTION, THIS PROCESS deletes ALL YOU HAVE IN SYSNAND). Place the two back then restarts connect your console. This should 'unlink' the sysNAND of emuNAND, which is good, and also solves the bug to stay having to unwrap the .cia every time you enter the emuNAND.

5- Now in sysNAND, do the browser exploit again, and when you are in the gateway menu, go to "console downgrade". Make sure the gateway.dg file for your region is in SD root. Typically, the "Downgrade console" would ask you to back up the sysNAND, but as you did it already, you will have no problem.

6- After being full downgrade, try to click in "Boot GateWay mode". This should take you emuNAND. After that, between the settings, check whether you really are in emuNAND. If you simply close the settings menu, it will return to 3ds sysnand. After returning, enter the menu settings and voila, you're in 4.2.

:nds: Thanks again, happy new year. :nds:

Jysix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"1.WARNING: DOWNGRADE MAKES YOUR GAME SAVES THAT WERE PLAYED IN SYSNAND UNUSABLE. There is no way to recover them, because starting from version 6.2 another type of encryption was being used, and therefore they can not be read by older versions."

But what if you play it in emunand 9.4 ?

homigura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But what if you play it in emunand 9.4 ?

I think that if you play retail / gateway games on EMUNAND, there will be no wipe and no problem . Need some confirming on that, tho. Maybe you could try #gatewayhype or #GBATemp.net ? :)

Uncle_Iroh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple of questions

1) People are downgrading even without a GW card. Doesn't that mean they're doing it without EmuNAND?
2) If you upgrade back up to a 6.2+ FW after downgrading, are saves usable again?
3) Does formatting SysNAND have any effect on save files on type2 retails carts? I.E. Omega Ruby.
4) My 3DS XL is a refurbished model, and came with 8.1. Is it safe to downgrade?

Basically I have no 3DS flash cart at the moment (only a DS flashcart). I'm debating if there is any point to doing anything right now. All I want to do is play my Omega Ruby in peace, online, without breaking possibility of using GW in the future.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
keeping one main help thread is easier for users.
Your results seems to differ from the other thread (about save compatibility).
We will need more user reports and test I guess.

I think I'll move your thread to the FAQ instead.
it's more detailed and has better "FAQ" look. the other thread is more for help and reports.

Reactions: homigura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1