Doom NSP freezes after accepting license

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Smilator, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Smilator
    OP

Smilator Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Italy
    Hey everyone, I'm having trouble making Doom work.

I downloaded the NSP (and the update) from CDNSP. I'm using ReiNX on 5.1FW.
    I installed with tinfoil a bunch of games, they all work fine (I didn't ignore the firmware version during installation considering I'm on 5.1).

Doom launches just as every other game, but on first screen after I accept the terms and conditions, the loading animation starts for like a second and then it freezes the whole console (can't go back on the home screen, I can just turn it off pressing the power button for twelve seconds).

I didn't install the exFat update (the tutorial seems kinda confusing, so i thought it wasn't mandatory since the other games on the sd work just fine).
    Do i need to install the exFat update in order to play Doom?

Thanks!

damiano2712 and mss1988 like this.
  2. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Do you have autorcm? Someone made a thread yesterday stating that was the cause of doom issues. If you do ....for kicks and giggles disable it (if you have a way to reenable) and test and let us know.

I find it hard to believe that it is the root problem, but we won't know until others with the issue test.

3. Alosho

Alosho Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Mexico
    I had the same problem, after removing layeredfs from my cfw it worked flawlessly. If you don't know what it is just download the latest ReiNX zip from th ReiSwitched discord.

mss1988 likes this.
  4. mss1988

mss1988 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Serbia, Republic of
    I can confirm the same problem with ReiNX. No AutoRCM, exFat installed.

The same problem happen with Portal Knights.

5. Smilator
    OP

Smilator Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Italy
    Autorcm is disabled, I've never enabled it.

I did download the latest sd files pack that I found on discord like two days ago. Can I check somewhere on the switch what's the version of my ReiNX?

Phew! At least I don't have to figure out how to install the exfat update.

6. gothteen

gothteen Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    Disabeling layeredfs works for my switch doom version which keeps crashing as well (cant make a new game, it crashes constant) so removing the kip file should help you out. Just make sure you dont use layeredfs at all, that is no modding skyrim etc as well since that uses layeredfs heavily.

mss1988 likes this.
  7. Smilator
    OP

Smilator Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Italy
    May I ask you how to disable it?
    Massive noob here, thanks!

8. gothteen

gothteen Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    ReiNX\sysmodules -> fs_mitm.kip is the LayeredFS loader, i think u can delete the file from your sd folder, reboot the switch and it should work

9. Smilator
    OP

Smilator Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Italy
    Yeah that was it. Now it works! Thanks man!

10. gothteen

gothteen Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    Np :) Do keep in mind you totaly lost layeredfs by removing the kip file so if u ever want to restore that, just move it back to the sys folder and you should be good to go.

What i would advice is getting a seperate 32gig sd card, move reinx without the kip on that sd with doom, and play it seperatly from your normal sd card with all other games (i dont think there are more games that require you to remove the kip before you can play them but dont hold me on that, i dont play and test everything rofl)

11. mss1988

mss1988 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Serbia, Republic of
    I confirm that Portal Knights work with LayeredFS removed.

12. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    you never had to. It's part of the switch firmware and you already have it. The tutorials are for people who still haven't figured out that there's no good reason to stay on 3.0 or whatever.

13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    People need to stop recommending ppl to uninstall autorcm, will cause burned fuses/updated gc slot.

14. Albytrozz

Albytrozz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    I just ran into DOOM crashing just after the intro with SX OS 2.0... and what do you know, one of the new features is layerfs support! I put 1.9 back on and DOOM loads like normal, so if a game is randomly crashing on you it's because of layerfs. I have never used it.

15. Albytrozz

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    *Double Post*

Last edited by Albytrozz, Sep 24, 2018
  16. JoeyMacCheese

JoeyMacCheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    United States
    It has to do with Layered FS in my experience. Happened with Doom and GO Vacation. Install with Layered FS and when booting up the game for the first time, launch with CFW, not layered fs. After that, I could launch the game with Layered FD. Probably has to download with the way the games create their save or something

Albytrozz likes this.
  17. Albytrozz

Jun 10, 2018
    United States
    It 110% has to do with the new LayeredFS support in SX OS 2.0. It would crash after the intro to DOOM until I put 1.9 back on, then it worked fine again....

18. JoeyMacCheese

JoeyMacCheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    United States
    It happened to me a while back with Hekate. Don't have SX OS

Albytrozz likes this.