DOOM game GBA ROM.'s

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Gameboy MAX, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Gameboy MAX
    OP

Gameboy MAX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    I know that there are the two official DOOM GBA games. DOOM and DOOM II. But what about other DOOM games like, Final DOOM (TNT). We already know that DOOM games work fine on the GBA, its just a mater of creating a rom out of them. Something that might not be so hard is to make a GBA ROM. out of main WAD.s like Final Doom, DOOM II and what not, and/or we can combine a DOOM WAD. and an "add-on" WAD. into one working GBA ROM.? This would be great, because we could play user created maps and games. Is there a program like that out there? or is somone already doing this? If not, is it possible?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You can have a decensoring patch for the first
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/474/

From what I recall though it was not a simple port (being based on the Jaguar version in the case of the first and something more custom for the second, nice listing of the changes http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance ) so injecting full custom wads (of the sort that usually float around the internet anyway) was easier said than done though simple level editing was far more easily accomplished and being Jaguar based a lot of the work there moved directly over (Kaiser's gbadhack stuff doing especially well here, I uploaded a version of it to filetrip just now -- http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/tools-utilities/download-gba-doom-hacking-tools-10-f32118.html ). Add onto that the less than perfect controls and a few downgrades and there was not all that much incentive to really pull it apart (the source code had already been out for a few years at this point and nice things were happening).

Nowadays we have nice DS and PSP homebrew ports (and ports for everything else) which can more or less accept custom versions (I even had some limited success porting the new maps from the XBLA ports to the PSP, regular custom WADs more or less just drop into place) as they are based on PrBoom.

If you want some pointers on GBA hacking we can do that but as far as getting people enthusiastic over hacking the GBA games you face a massive uphill struggle.

Rydian likes this.
  3. Gameboy MAX
    OP

Gameboy MAX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Thank you for the in-depth response. It was very helpful, as were the links.
    I was afraid this would be the case. GBA ROM hacking seems to have lost its exciting flare sense 2006. I don't know much, if anything, about coding, so I don't think I will get far in creating DOOM ROM.s. But, thanks for the pointers and links! ;)

4. Gameboy MAX
    OP

Gameboy MAX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Also, if anyone has any sort of DOOM GBA ROM.s, weather they are hacked ROM.s, different versions of the game, or home brew, it would make my day if you posted them here.

Thanks in advance!

5. Bart Lemming

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    I've always wished that this would happen. There are some really cool vanilla Doom WADs out there that I'd love to play on my GBA Micro. Sadly, though, as you've already mentioned the homebrew and hacking scene for the GBA is long dead (for the moment *crosses fingers...*). I would love to see lots of things ported to the GBA from the PC but I fear it will never happen.

It's such a shame to see such a cool platform left languishing in the shadow of the PSP and Android. Sure, there may be better ports of Doom et al out on these machines but there's no handheld (for me) that holds the charm of the GBA... :(

6. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    You're likely in trouble. GBA Doom doesn't use the ID engine, but a third party proprietary engine called Southpaw. They likely used heavy conversion from WADs to whatever this thing uses. Without source code an editor will have to be built from scratch and the maps manually recreated.

7. Bart Lemming

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    ^
    Yeah, I knew that. I wonder why the engine never caught on. They could have ported over any number of old DOS FPS games with that engine. Maybe they could've made a decent Wolf 3D port with it!

Doom II on the GBA uses the Doom engine though. I think it's based on the Atari Jaguar port. Certainly the levels in both games are based on the Jaguar port. :)

I just wish I had the know how to port over Chocolate Doom and create a level 'injector' tool thingy. I can but dream...

8. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Maybe because they wanted to replace the tried and tested ID engine with an unpolished wannabe that allows you to pass through any wall that's at an angle other than 90 or 0 degrees on the map. XD (try it, just head straight into any diagonal wall and keep going for about 2 minutes; you'll notice you're slowly getting closer and closer to the wall until you go right through, affects both Doom II and Duke Nukem Advance)