Does this work to install Launch Elf?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by U-said-it, Nov 24, 2008.

Nov 24, 2008
  1. U-said-it
    OP

Newcomer U-said-it Member

United States
    Hi there, I found this post, and I as wondering if anyone here had success i loading this? Does this technique really work? I don't have any Dvd-Rs, so I can't try it out. Could I use say a cd-r with a PS2 demo disc small enough to fit on a cd-r?

Sorry for the horrendously large post, but one last query...

What does the Launch Elf program allow you to install? MC boot exploit? Play homebrew/emus? Play imports?

2. Gerinych

Member Gerinych GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    1. If your demo disk has any .elf files, you can do it. I've never heard of this method before, but it sounds plausible.
    2. LaunchElf is a browser for your PS2. I mostly use it to copy my saves onto a flash drive. It can browse your memory cards, your CD, only one of your flash drives, your HDD, and your network (not sure how you can do that) It can also run .elf files. I managed to get an Independence Exploit and Free McBoot on my memory card using LaunchElf.

3. U-said-it
    OP

Newcomer U-said-it Member

United States
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have another question then. I'm sure this has been asked before, so I'll ask for a link (maybe?).

Could you give me a link to a tutorial on how to load the Independence Exploit, or the Free MC Boot with the Launch Elf program?

Is it as simple as loading those programs from a cd-r, or usb drive, in the Launch Elf menu?

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    If you have Ulaunch and a compatible USB flash drive then it's as simple as just executing the FMCB install elf. Take a look at these guides and worship at the alter of Bootleg Ninja, JNABK, jimmikaelkael & Neme and dlanor amongst others.

5. Gamemaster1379

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Excuse me for bumping such an old topic, but I'm attempting this method as of now on my modded slim PS2 with Star Wars Battlefront II as well as Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and have gotten absolutely NOWHERE. I've worked on this for nearly half a day with no luck and I'm getting fed up. For specific instructions, I am:

-Ripping my games via USB DVD Drive

-Using a .elf (compressed for MGS3 and uncompressed for SWBF2), and replacing the specific .elf file in both games with Apache v1.1 that confirm to be working with this exploit. (I updated the "TOC" and made it the proper amount of bytes, then updated the file as instructed)

-I burned all the copies at 1x (excluding one Battlefront II which was burned at 10x)

-Starting the disc up for both MGS3 and SWBF2

-Swapping discs at the main menu

-Heading to the respective area where the .elf has been replaced and launching it

...and then I get an "insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 disc" error instead of getting the Launch.elf menu.

-A note, I've also attempted at least three devices with no avail on any of them.

First was a USB SD card reader with a 1 GB Wii Sandisk SD Card (The SD card reader did not light up, so it acted as if it wasn't detected)

Second was a 4 GB Verbatim USB Flash Drive which didn't light up either

Third was a Sony PSP with a 2 GB Sandisk Pro Duo. When the system started up with the PSP connected, it was detected and changed text from "Please Connect a USB Cable" to "Please Wait..."

6. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The whole reason it works with agent under fire is that the game launches a seperate ELF file, which in this case has been replaced with uLaunchELF. You'll want to find a disc that has multiple ELF files that you have some idea of when they are launched.

As mentioned previously demo discs should work. I think Kingdom Hearts II has a seperate ELF for gummi ship missions as well.

7. Gamemaster1379

United States
    I must have the absolute worst luck then. I tried a Namco Demo disc. The first burned copy I replaced an .elf of i-Ninja with no luck. The second copy I replaced I think 3 ELF files of a bunch of demoes--still with the screen with the red blocks in the background. And I'm almost sure it isn't the disc failing to be read, I can play everything else just fine on the demo

8. Gamemaster1379

United States
    Excuse me, does anybody know what's causing the error?

9. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the way this works is you launch the game and then select the demo or other elf on the disk. the uLaunchELF needs to be renamed to the elf file that you are replacing. The ps2 does a check if it is a legit disk when you see the playstation logo.

Posts merged

you were missing
    Step 3: swap it
    Insert the original game in the PS2 power it on let it load past the intro and all the various splash screens and into the game menu now swap the original game with your hacked copy.

10. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Watch out about scratching your originals though, that happened to me whilst doing this and now they're not recognizable by the PS2. :/

11. Gamemaster1379

United States
    Yeah, I swap at the game menu, and it all runs just fine. I can still play everything using the swapped disc--except load the .elf. Every other demo runs fine with no hiccups except the i-ninja, which, when loaded, sends me straight to the PS2 menu with the red blocks in the background asking me to insert a PS/PS2 screen.

12. Gamemaster1379

United States
    Bump.

S'pose I should have been paying attention to the scene while it was still active.

13. Ultratech87

Newcomer Ultratech87 Advanced Member

United States
    Hmm...don't know what the problem could be then.

I just finally got it working with Agent Under Fire (very cheap!) and it worked perfectly. However, I must've tried this same thing with a ton of other games beforehand and got no result or the red screen.

My only guess is that it's very limited to what might actually work with it. Just because a game has an .elf file, doesn't mean you can run launchelf from it, as I've learned. Get something like the old SOCOM games or even better, Agent Under Fire, for it work successfully.