Does system transfer also transfer firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aerione, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Aerione
    OP

Aerione Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2014
    Well, the topic name says it all, but to clarify: I was wondering if the game transfer feature of the 3DS also transfers the firmware onto the new device?
    I'm wondering this because I'm thinking of getting a 4.5 3DS XL to replace my 7.x.x 3DS, but I don't want to accidentally lock out GW with the new firmware on the old console.

2. ResleyZ

ResleyZ Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty

Oct 11, 2013
    Netherlands
    Silicon Valley
    You can only use system transfer when both the 3DS's are at the latest firmware.

EDIT: Not sure what would happen if you would use emunand and then use system transfer...

3. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    you can get a 4.5 3ds(xl), install emunand on it, update said emunand to current firmware, update your other 3ds to current firmware and then make a system transfer from the normal 3ds to the emunand of the other 3ds

then you will have a 4.5 3ds(xl) with gateway exploit on it to launch gateway emunand mode with latest firmware on it and all the stuff on it, that you transfered from your old 3ds

4. aXXo

aXXo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Actually, it would be more productive to buy games for the emunand 3DS, make a backup of the emu-nand, and transfer the emunand to the second 3DS. Then, you can restore the emunand on the original 3DS and have a copy of everything on both 3DS'. Of course, if the emunand 3DS ever connects to eshop/the internet, those cloned games will be wiped.

5. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    the op said he wanted to REPLACE the old 3ds with the new one, so If he means it, I don't think, he plans on keeping the first one
    also, I think he got games stored on the normal 3ds, that he wants to replace and intends to send them to the emunand 3ds, so making a transfer from emunand to his old 3ds would wipe his games from the original... that would be counterproductive

6. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    On 2.0b2 you can do a system transfer, I've done it myself. On 2.0b1 it doesn't work.

7. player0

player0 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2006
    If I do a system transfer from emuNAND to normal machine, then restore the emuNAND, will I be able to do system transfer from the emuNAND to another normal machine again?

8. redkeyboard

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    That's a good idea, but I have a feeling it won't work since I believe it connects to the internet before doing the transfer. Still definitely worth a try though.

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    nope you cant transfer to emunand backup your nand with the eshop games, then transfer to another 3ds, word of warning though once you restore the emunand from when you still had the games i believe just connecting to the internet will cause the games to be deleted, so no, you couldn't just keep transferring them as Nintendo checks your license files for any content when your connected to the internet and deletes any "invalid" games.

10. player0

player0 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2006
    Thanks, and that makes sense for games.
    But what about game saves?
    Like I have over a thousand Miis in my Mii Plaza and 100% completed puzzles and hats, I want to transfer that save to multiple normal machines.

11. eggsample

eggsample punahussy

Mar 29, 2010
    Poland
    I think Ninn's security system doesn't allow it.

12. redkeyboard

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I think that would work, just my hunch. No one is going to know though unless you try it yourself.