Hardware Does DiscEX change the ISO file?

ShaneDuckworth

OP
Trophies
XP
So I run DiscEX flawlessly, I have no problems on how to use it.
My issue is space in my hard drive.

Does DiscEX change the ISO file, or does it just move it into a folder and add files in order for the ISO to play thru the SD card?

I need to know because sometimes I may want to burn the ISO and play on the Wii instead of just using the backup loader, and I can't afford the space to have two of the same exact ISO file (if they are the same).

ShaneDuckworth

OP
Trophies
XP
The program modifies the game image only if you use the "-c" command.

Okay cool, I do not think I used the -c command, but could you tell me what that is exactly?

If I recall correctly, there were two ways to do it, one thru command prompt and the other thru just dragging the ISO overtop discex.exe

I just dragged it ontop and it created the folder with the gamecube game plus other files necessary to play the game.
So the ISO in the newly created folder is the same one that I dragged ontop? I am free to delete the original ISO?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
The "-c" command is used to shrink the ISO. There are other programs that can do this task, but they don't preserve the ISO alignment, causing problems with the audio or even preventing the game execution in some weird cases (problems that can be fixed with fstfix, anyway). AFAIK, DiscEX actually preserves the game alignment during the shrinking proccess, in order to avoid the already mentioned problems (but you can only use the "-c" command through CMD or a batch file).

And yes, as I said before, both ISO images are exactly the same. You can delete the old one, keep the game.iso and do whatever you want with it.

ShaneDuckworth

OP
Trophies
XP
Okay cool. And yeah I don't plan to shirnk/scrub/compress or do whatever to the ISO because I heard that messing with it causes problems. So it's best to just keep the original ISO file and size, at least that's how I view it.

Thanks so much :D

cwjakesteel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
How do I use the -c command? I'm trying to play GC games from a USB but it's not detecting it. I drag the iso to DiscEX.exe and according to you, it just copies it. I know how to run command prompt, but where do I put the -c?

What I did was to create a shortcut to the .exe file. Go to it's properties and put -c after the quotations of the target executable file. And a lot of stuff popped up apparently. Was that what I needed to do?

Squidbiskets

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do I use the -c command? I'm trying to play GC games from a USB but it's not detecting it. I drag the iso to DiscEX.exe and according to you, it just copies it. I know how to run command prompt, but where do I put the -c?

What I did was to create a shortcut to the .exe file. Go to it's properties and put -c after the quotations of the target executable file. And a lot of stuff popped up apparently. Was that what I needed to do?

I did what you did (putting the -c after the quotes on the shortcut file) and it compressed it perfectly!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.