Does anyone know why CtrBootManager9 can't boot after ranaming it?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jimmyleen, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jimmyleen
    OP

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    I want to rename cbm9 from arm9loaderhax.bin to A9LH ctrBootManager9.bin but if I change its name it will not boot. I thought if I changed the name of the .cfg that comes with cbm9 than maybe cbm9 would boot but that still does not work.

Edit: I want to change its name because when I open my microsd I don't want to accidentally delete it, all because I won't know why I have a random arm9loaderhax.bin file on the root.

Last edited by jimmyleen, Mar 30, 2016
  2. Docmudkipz

Docmudkipz Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Staring at my computer case's window
    A9LH is set up in a way that it will always only boot an "arm9loaderhax.bin" from the root of the card. If it doesn't exist then it won't boot. Changing your cfg won't change the way the hax works, only the payload.

3. Uziskull

Uziskull Picture may not be real

Nov 15, 2015
    Portugal
    Somewhere, probably
    To make name changes possible, you'd have to edit the name on the source files and recompile it.
    To save you the trouble of doing that, why don't you create something like "dont delete arm9loaderhax.txt" and leave it on your SD card?

4. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    It won't work unless you modify the source code of your arm9loaderhax. Because the stage2 launches sdmc:/arm9loderhax.bin

Edit: damn ninja'd

Last edited by Conn0r, Mar 30, 2016
  5. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    It's much easier to leave ctrbootmanager9 as arm9loaderhax.bin and change the name of everything else instead.

6. jimmyleen
    OP

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a text file saying "WARNING do not delete the arm9loaderhax.bin" or something like that.

FenrirWolf likes this.
  7. Uziskull

Uziskull Picture may not be real

Nov 15, 2015
    Portugal
    Somewhere, probably
    This is usually the easiest and most helpful method of remembering, as I replied earlier. I have tons of .txt files all over my SD card telling me what is what (sys/emuNAND, games, etc).