Does a .cia game can brick my 3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Samwix, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Samwix
    OP

Samwix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Hi,

I've converted a JAP ROM to cia with Simple CIA Converter and I checked FW Spoof and Region Free then I converted. And generating ExHeader xorpads took some seconds and I got only 2 files....

And now I want to install it and I would know if it can brick my 3DS (I have PBT-CFW).

Thanks

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Nope.
    System title cias can brick your 3ds if you install the wrong things, but games install to SD. There's no way they can brick your 3DS.

Samwix likes this.
  3. Samwix
    OP

Samwix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Thank you :)
    But is it possible that there will be consequences if the cia is wrong?

4. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2014
    Australia
    In most cases the game don't start if the cia file is damaged.

5. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    1) It may fail to install with an error message saying the archive is invalid.
    2) The game may not show up in the home screen, and cannot be selected.
    3) The game may fail to run, with an error message saying "An error has occurred, please turn off the system".

That's pretty much it as far as possible consequences goes. The system does not attempt to load installed CIAs during the startup process, so game CIAs cannot interfere with the startup process and lead to a brick. The only possible way that could happen is if it was a bad system file that was mislabeled as a game, but since it's something you're creating yourself, you know it's not the case.

6. AydenTheKilla
    This message by AydenTheKilla has been removed from public view by raulpica, Aug 29, 2016, Reason: OP request -rp.
    Aug 29, 2016