Doctor Who

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, Doctor Who Christmas special!

I don't get to watch it until I can find it online though, sadly. Family functions and all that.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope.

Karen said a comeback would ruin the finality of the exit. And no, Oswin Oswald is someone else. The new companion's name according to some sources is Clara (surname possibly Oswin). Relative, genetic multiple, memory reminiscence, double, maybe. Same actress doesn't mean same character. We have Freema and Karen as evidence of that already.
HEY HEY, GUESS WHAT!

I WAS RIGHT! In a sense. I'll explain in a spoiler:
She is in fact, Oswin Oswald. The time stream seems to be a bit goofed up, and Oswin Oswald is being reborn time and time again with the same memories intact deep within her subconscious, as is seen right before her 1892 self dies. Even her attitude remains identical through it all, as well as her cooking habits. I assume an explanation will come later, but as of now, Oswin Oswald is definitely back!

Also, I liked Moffat's nod to the origins of Sherlock Holmes. It's neat to see two brilliant pieces of work mingle in such a way.

Reactions: 431unknown

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HEY HEY, GUESS WHAT!

I WAS RIGHT! In a sense. I'll explain in a spoiler:
She is in fact, Oswin Oswald. The time stream seems to be a bit goofed up, and Oswin Oswald is being reborn time and time again with the same memories intact deep within her subconscious, as is seen right before her 1892 self dies. Even her attitude remains identical through it all, as well as her cooking habits. I assume an explanation will come later, but as of now, Oswin Oswald is definitely back!

Also, I liked Moffat's nod to the origins of Sherlock Holmes. It's neat to see two brilliant pieces of work mingle in such a way.
Memory reminiscence/double/genetic multiple still seems to hold up. There's something more than just the two, and it seems so far to be not unlike a diffraction, in that the same person appears at different times in history.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Memory reminiscence/double/genetic multiple still seems to hold up. There's something more than just the two, and it seems so far to be not unlike a diffraction, in that the same person appears at different times in history.
So, having just watched The Name of the Doctor, I'm glad they finally cleared up the mystery of Clara in that she is

the same person, time and time again, having thrust herself into the Doctor's time stream in order to thwart the Great Intelligence. Every Clara was just another piece of herself, born into whatever time she may have been needed in. That explains the mental linkup with Asylum Clara when 1892 Clara dies, and why she only seemed to appear in situations where the Doctor would have lost his life without her. Though, that raises another question: did the Dalek Asylum exist because of the Great Intelligence, or was the Clara of that time subconsciously dragged there, thwarting the Great Intelligence before the Doctor's arrival? Or was that just a side effect of being in absolutely every nook and cranny of the Doctor's timeline? Then, also, would Clara and the Great Intelligence be the reason that River and the Doctor's time streams were so goofed up and that they kept meeting in the wrong order?

On a related note, I'm now very excited for the 50th Anniversary Special. November is far too far away at this point.

Reactions: 431unknown

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
That's assuming he does.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that. After the Doctor thwarted The Valeyard in the past, it doesn't make much sense for the Doctor to become the Valeyard once more. I believe the Valeyard, breaking as many time laws as he did, effectively ended his existence and his chance to exist once more. I can't remember where I read, but if I remember right, the original creator of the Valeyard thought he was a boring villain and pretty much decided he should be retconned anyways, or at least never brought back as a serious threat. Only a few lines of writing have kept him on, while the majority have abandoned the character at this point.

Then there's the problem of the Great Intelligence using the term "the Valeyard" once more when describing all the names the Doctor would come to be known by. It's hard to say if the Great Intelligence just pulled that from knowing about the Doctor's past with everything he had pieced together previously, though.

Regardless, we won't be seeing The Valeyard in the 50th unless they decide to make him the villain of it. John Hurt's role is already long confirmed.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I've been wondering about that. After the Doctor thwarted The Valeyard in the past, it doesn't make much sense for the Doctor to become the Valeyard once more.
Why not? The Valeyard hasn't been created yet. Plus he somehow turned up again disguised as the Keeper of the Matrix, and the Inquisitor didn't even notice.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Why not? The Valeyard hasn't been created yet. Plus he somehow turned up again disguised as the Keeper of the Matrix, and the Inquisitor didn't even notice.
The Valeyard crossed his own time stream so many times in an effort to gain immortality, exposing the Doctor to his potential future. There is no saying that the Valeyard was actually a fixed point in the Doctor's timeline. Nobody has said that he has to follow the path laid out for him by those events. He will eventually regenerate again, yes, but it's unlikely that the Doctor will follow that path ever again. Essentially, the Valeyard crossing his own time stream would seem to be what would come to eliminate his existence. Edit: I do have to accept the "then why didn't the Valeyard just blink out of existence" thing, but perhaps his personal timeline was just too mangled at that point from him jumping around. Honestly, I don't have a good answer for that.

Going back to The Valeyard as he appeared in older Doctor Who, that villain can never actually return seeing as the Doctor destroyed both him and his TARDIS. I'm sure they could twist that around somehow and say he survived, but it doesn't seem that anybody, writer of the show or any of the books, has decided he was worth bringing back from the dead.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That "Doctor" is the one that fought in the Time War and the one that used the " Moment" to end the war. Been reading that Omega will be back for the 50th as well as the Time Lords.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte