Do you use teflon coated cooking utensils at home?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't. I've read you have to heat it up to well above what you possibly would in a normal kitchen setting before anything toxic gets released (and I don't remember the source of this claim, might be BS altogether).

My reason for not using it is that I think the roasting surface just doesn't get any good with those things. I also don't use a microwave, not because I think it's harmful but it's in my view a machine for making your food taste terrible, I reheat things using the oven.

Same for me. I don't liked a microwave not because of radiation (Perhaps).. I just don't liked reheat it with that machine. I would prefer reheat things using the oven (It will take time than microwave) but hey.. I like the old fashion. The future is getting worse about those easy technology that could cause health issues, it seems.

I will stick with my old way in the past and I will use it in the future for the sake of health or not anyway.

Reactions: TVL

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all, before anything, I should tell you that even non-stick utensils actually have a chemical coating over them to minimize the contact of the metal used with the food since that can cause poisoning (reason you can see old pots look like they've had their bottom peeled).

Anyways, it's basically like Tom said:
Well first of all, you should get the notion that Teflon is some "highly toxic" material or some kind of significant health risk material out if your head, as it's not.

The only part that would be toxic in Teflon is PFOA, which is a chemical used to make Teflon, but isn't actually present in the finished product (or if it is, it's so miniscule it's not remotely a problem), it can cause tumors if you ingest this chemical...but these days, most Teflon manufacturers don't use PFOA in their pans anymore, so it's a non-issue.

That said, there are things you shouldn't do with Teflon pans, but not because they're toxic, it's just to increase the lifespan of the product.

Firstly, you should never use Teflon pans over high heat. This will ruin the coating and start melting the plastic, which is bad (since no one wants their food coated in plastic, even if it is save to eat plastic).

Secondly is not to scratch them with metal utensils, as this will ruin the non-stick of the pan. If you have scratched pans, toss them since they're no longer useful (but not because they're suddenly toxic).

Thirdly, you shouldn't toss them in a dish washer, always hand wash as heat from dish washing can damage the material.

The only real concern with Teflon is what the chemicals used to make it can do to the environment if not disposed of properly by manufacturers, but using them to cook food is 0 problem at all.

I suggest taking a look at what the ACS says, not sensational journalists/Facebook moms.
Tiny corrections or notes though... For first point, high heat isn't always an issue, Teflon can take up to ~150°C just fine, BUT the issue comes from "putting out" the heat (the stupid habit of running cold water over the pan to cool it when done). If ANYTHING is heated, then cooled suddenly it becomes brittle, no matter how tough or durable it may be or how resistant to temperature it is (even stuff like titanium have this flaw), so cool the pan slowly or "put out" the BACK side only with lukewarm water instead and the Teflon won't be damaged. Second, that's very true and scratched pans actually allow contact with the actual metal of the utensil which can cause metal poisoning if you eat a lot from it similar to scratched non-stick utensils, but people need to note that it's not necessary to only use plastic utensils, metal ones are fine as long as you are careful and know how to use them successfully. About the third, not only should you hand-wash, you should use the soft part of the sponge, Teflon is VERY weak to the hard side (the green one), especially on new sponges when they are still hard. Finally, you shouldn't leave the pan with stuff in it for long periods of time (eg: putting water in it and leaving it in the sink until you need it again), Teflon is sensitive to any Ph under 7 (water's Ph), so it will slowly start "fading" and leaving marks on it (eg: a ring, not bad for you but over time can get serious).

Reactions: Stwert

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, before anything, I should tell you that even non-stick utensils actually have a chemical coating over them to minimize the contact of the metal used with the food since that can cause poisoning (reason you can see old pots look like they've had their bottom peeled).

Anyways, it's basically like Tom said:

Tiny corrections or notes though... For first point, high heat isn't always an issue, Teflon can take up to ~150°C just fine, BUT the issue comes from "putting out" the heat (the stupid habit of running cold water over the pan to cool it when done). If ANYTHING is heated, then cooled suddenly it becomes brittle, no matter how tough or durable it may be or how resistant to temperature it is (even stuff like titanium have this flaw), so cool the pan slowly or "put out" the BACK side only with lukewarm water instead and the Teflon won't be damaged. Second, that's very true and scratched pans actually allow contact with the actual metal of the utensil which can cause metal poisoning if you eat a lot from it similar to scratched non-stick utensils, but people need to note that it's not necessary to only use plastic utensils, metal ones are fine as long as you are careful and know how to use them successfully. About the third, not only should you hand-wash, you should use the soft part of the sponge, Teflon is VERY weak to the hard side (the green one), especially on new sponges when they are still hard. Finally, you shouldn't leave the pan with stuff in it for long periods of time (eg: putting water in it and leaving it in the sink until you need it again), Teflon is sensitive to any Ph under 7 (water's Ph), so it will slowly start "fading" and leaving marks on it (eg: a ring, not bad for you but over time can get serious).

All very good advice.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I disagree with this, Teflon pans should not be seen as a durable product in general, and nearly every chef and person who are "hardcore" into cooking that I know always recommend you just buy the cheap shit, abuse it for a year or two, and then toss it. This is mainly because even the "highest end" Teflon pans have a "manufacturer recommended" 5ish years of "moderate" use before they recommend replacing it as the coating wears down over use.
In my experience chefs and "hardcore" cooking folk stay away from Teflon because you can't get the "sear" or the "fond" or the "caramelization" or what have you, and recommend at least stainless steel (if they haven't fallen for the cast iron meme*).
Yes, Teflon cookware should be replaced after a while, I didn't say it was indestructible, but the really cheap shit will not take any abuse at all, let alone a year or two. If you want a pan that gets scratched by a plastic spatula then by all means, go ahead. I'm just saying the more durable shit is more expensive.

*fight me

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGzykqrsuM