Homebrew Do you use emulators on your DS?

Do you use emulators on your DS?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just for fun

• No

• Total voters

7llusion

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
As the title says, do you use emulator on your DS as you would with a real game or do you, just try the emulator out to see of it works and when you see that it works and it satisfied your curiosity, just delete it from your flashcart?
I use the SNEmulDS DS emu on my R4 and play Zelda, Mario World etc... I also use NESDS but since it's got no DLDI support(no save) I don't use it that often, it's a shame because I prefer NES games, juts becaus eof the rewind and fast forward function of NESDS
yaynds.gif

Illusion

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I use a nes emulator for mega man 2 and super mario bros. 3... oh and kid icarus. I'll probably put some more games on it soon, I only put those on to see if I could get it to work - and yeah, it works like a charm on my dsx.

I also put scummvm on it, and monkey island 1 to test it. played through the first chapter, and works really well. don't know if I'll complete the game on it though. I've been thinking about putting beneath a steel sky or fate of atlantis (the talkie versions) on it....

I also tried out SNEmulDS, but I found the compatibilty horrible. too bad, I'd love to play chrono trigger again...
wub.gif

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
I used FrodoDS for a lot of games, but that's about it. The AtariST emulator is good, but it's too slow at the moment for most games - when that improves, I'll use that.

I'd list ScummVM, but it's not an emulator
wink.gif

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get nesDS WIP1. This has save feature working. Works perfectly with dsx. Been playing lots of mega man. love it. Really crying that SNES emus have such low game compatability.

As the title says, do you use emulator on your DS as you would with a real game or do you, just try the emulator out to see of it works and when you see that it works and it satisfied your curiosity, just delete it from your flashcart?
I use the SNEmulDS DS emu on my R4 and play Zelda, Mario World etc... I also use NESDS but since it's got no DLDI support(no save) I don't use it that often, it's a shame because I prefer NES games, juts becaus eof the rewind and fast forward function of NESDSÂ
yaynds.gif

Illusion

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. My little sister has an M3 Simply, and in my sparing use of emulation, I've found everything to be quite slow. Even NES is pretty crawling.

Metaluna

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
serial-hamster.over-blog.com
XP
Country
With all great releases by AlekMaul and Redbug, my M3 SD is filled up with emus and roms.
biggrin.gif

ColecoDS is the one I'm using the most only to play Lady Bug.

FrodoDS : Commando, Rambo II, Cauldron, but I'm waiting a full framerate version to play Fort Apocalypse (it is still very difficult to play right now).

and when I got plenty of time, I launch CrocoDS and play with Crafton & Xunk or The Sentinel.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
When I'm in a nostalgic mood, yeah. Only for stuff I used to play as a kid, slow response retro control systems drive me up the wall but it's different when it's something you used to love playing. Actually I've got SMSAdvance on there now
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nesds and/or pocketnes always (tetris 2 mainly).
Picodrive for Phantasy Star 4 and a few other assorted games for which speed is not of the essence.
Technically not an emulator but SCUMMVMDS.
Goomba and goomba color for GBAÂ titles.
Various remakes
If I happen to want another game you can bet that will be there too.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
no I don't play emulators on my DS.
I would if they were more polished. currently only NesDS is worth trying.
Tho I've heard good things about PicoDrive. Anyone care to fill in how it runs and how compatibility is?
I will probably use ScummVM the time when I get back my DS from my big bros girlfriend. Her DS is back home at my parents. :/
She plays more often than me so
wacko.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SCUMMVMDS is pretty much perfect for most titles Elrinth although I agree most DS code emus need some polishing (compared to the GBA, GP32 and to a lesser extent PSP).

Picodrive normally manages about 20-30 fps game dependent (normally not much off for PAL which is nice and low action makes for a good speed), no sound though as it has not been coded.
Compatibilty is not something I have tested extensively but most of the major titles work.
Saving can be done with save states or SRAM.

gr33dy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have tried a few of them out just for kicks. Otherwise, not really... It seems that most of the games worth playing (for NES/SNES etc.) have been ported to GBA anyway. However, there are a few that haven't been ported and will definitely be worth checking out once the development has progressed on some of the emulators.

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a complete SNES emulator was available for the DS, I would only be playing SNES games. But since there isn't a practical (I am very grateful for the work you guys are doing, but most SNES emulators were dropped or are still in beta) SNES emulator currently available I only use them when I'm testing to see if specific games are functional.

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my PSP for emulation, but emulation on the DS has got me so interested that I'm contemplating buying a slot 2 device just for that purpose.

k2theman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This poll should have a "I would like to use DS emulators but play quality is not yet good enough" option.
smile.gif

I went ahead and voted yes, in that I'd like to use the DS for SNES emulation. I started playing Breath of Fire the other day on the new release of SNEmulDS; it looks and plays pretty well, but has some issues (sound glitches, battle information not fully visible, etc.). It's definitely playable, but I'm not sure if I'll continue much until the compatibility gets a bit better.

Still, it's great to be able to play at all; the work of these homebrew emulator programmers is much appreciated.

Staroffurby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am a huge fan of running emulators on my NDS and thanks to some great people, we have a great homebrew scene with some great emulators. This is what i have got working on my NDS Lite with my Supercard:

MarcaDS - A basic MAME emulator, will only run about 25 or so games
DSpec - Spectrum 48/128k, what a great machine
Picodrive - Megadrive/Genesis
FrodoDS - Commodore 64
SNEmulDS - SNES Super Famicom emulation
ColecoDS - Colecovision, very old console!
PenkoDS - MSX 1&2, not many people remember this great machine, was not that popular here in UK
Ameds or Crocods - Amastrad CPC 464/6128
Built in via Firmware on Supercard Lite - Gameboy Mono, Color, Advance NES, (Famicom), Sega Master Sytem and PC-Engine (Turbo Grafx-16)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.