Do you recommend me to update from a9 to b9?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gizametalman, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Gizametalman
    OP

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    I'm still in a9, and the main reason why I haven't updated to b9 is because to me is useless.
    For instance:
    "From now on, Luma updates will be in .firm"
    I literally have no reasons to update Luma.
    "From now on, Homebrew apps will be runable only through b9"
    I literally, do not use Homebrew apps, the only one I use is that Shop.
    "If you want to play online, you'll need to update your system which will require Luma to be updated"
    Again, I don't play Online.

Yet I feel, a bit curious about that new Rosalina x Bootstrap.

So, the question is aimed to those who have updated from a9 to b9 and from Luma to Rosalina.

Is it worth it for someone like me? For someone who's not interested is using most of those features, because I have the same features with A9 and Luma.

2. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    It's pretty easy to do and if something that catches your eye does get released for Luma later on it's easier to already have b9 and update instead of going through the whole installation process and updating Luma.
    Basically, there's no reason not to.

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Possibly Insane

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Dreams and Thoughts
    Absolutely! Just go ahead. It's pretty straightforward.

4. Stephano

Stephano Looking for Casuls

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Ganon's Castle
    It is very easy. 100% recommend.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I upgraded, and I rarely play my 3ds. it's just for research and testing purposes like all of my systems r. like the others have said, it's very easy especially if you're already on a9lh. it might take but five minutes really.

6. clancy94

clancy94 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 18, 2008
    Yeah took me 5minutes to update & since its the future going forward, why not? - Native Input redirection is nice

7. Trojaner

Trojaner GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2017
    Australia
    Moon
    Luma 8 is nice, yes updated but only on my Test 3DS, but if you donĀ“t need new stuff you can stay on old version and update later if needed ... how was that "Never Change a running System as long you have no need for" :D

8. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Ok, thank you guys. Actually, @clancy94 pointed out something interesting... Native Input redirection?
    Does that mean that I will be able to play my games without using the Circle Pad? Now that's something I would update for.
    Is actually not because I think it'll be difficult to change from a9 to b9, I even have the 3dsguide open just in case of changing my mind.
    The reason why I haven't updated yet is because there's on reason for me to do so, as of yet that is.

9. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    You absolutely have reason to update Luma. Updates can mean new features, such as Rosalina. Or they mean bug fixes.
    If you use Themely, hblauncher_loader, Luma Updater, or FBI, you use homebrew.
    The upgrade to b9s is easy and recommended. Use https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.
    No. Native Input Redirection means you can use any external controller with the 3DS.

Last edited by sks316, Jun 19, 2017
  10. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    @ sks316
    Ah, too bad. I don't plan to update then. Thanks for clearing my doubts :)

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I don't even use Luma but still recommend Sighax, because it's a much cleaner system (you just install a fakesigned B9S as kernel, instead of installing an early N3DS kernel - yes even on O3DS - and a custom secret sector to take advantage of a secondary exploit in its added security features)

12. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    What? You couldnt do that on a9lh either?? Think of all the new luma features??

I guess it is your choice...