Do you know your blood type?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Nov 3, 2018.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Your blood has a type, no need to go into a full course of haematology but if you want a basic overview

Anyway I saw a blood donation van the other day and it occurred that despite being an old man I have no clue what mine is. I had meant to get a test kit but kept finding more interesting things to do with the money. Some of my siblings and family have or had some rather rare types too (to the point where they would actively get called up and asked "do you mind?").

It has little bearing on anything (some people end up slightly more resistant to certain diseases, some reckon it might have some bearing on your preferred diet), however you do occasionally find quirks like Japan where it is still reasonably common to meet people that think it matters for your personality and other such things

My not knowing mine means I have never donated any to anything other than the floor or new machinery, would be happy to but call it a protest against the silly rules in the UK (which don't actually apply to me but hey). Probably should look at bone marrow for me as well (many of my relatives seem to routinely end up in late stage matches) and while blood shortages are not especially bothersome for me it might be nice to help someone on the marrow side of things.

No great meaning or impetus behind this post, just thought it might make an amusing discussion. If you want a framing question then do you know your type or do you have any amusing stories or observations related to it all?

Fates-Blade-900 and CallmeBerto like this.
  2. XAIXER
    This message by XAIXER has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Nov 3, 2018, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Nov 3, 2018
  3. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    O Positive

If you fall into the O blood group, you have neither A nor B antigens on your red cells, but both A and B antibodies in your plasma. O positive is the most common blood type; O negative is the universal donor type, meaning those with this blood type can donate red blood cells to anybody.

For those with type O, it’s a mixed bag. If you have type O, you are more likely to get ulcers — and believe it or not, to rupture your Achilles tendons. You are also at higher risk of cholera. The good news is that people with type O blood are at a lower risk for pancreatic cancer and face a lower risk of dying from malaria than people with other blood groups; that said, if you have type O, you are twice as likely to be a mosquito magnet than those with type A blood.

If you have type O blood, ketsueki-gata suggests that you are confident, self-determined, strong-willed and intuitive; unfortunately, you are also self-centered, cold, unpredictable and potentially a workaholic.

Chary likes this.
  4. pasc

pasc GBATemps GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Germany
    Germany
    You are not one of them "japanese-blood-group-guys" ?
    Ah, k, already mentioned that. Good.

Yes, I do... B+
    (Donated a few times, thats why I know it)

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I have no idea. So if I need blood to survive, I'm kind of screwed.

6. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    ill go with O-negative blood...

cause that donor type is compatible with any blood type. not that i know mine.

:evil:

Dasher_The_Viral and NoNAND like this.
  7. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    My mom is O+, and my dad is O-, but I don't know what my exact blood type is. I assume I'm O-something, at the very least.

NoNAND and CallmeBerto like this.
  8. AtsuNii

AtsuNii AtsuNii's New Beginnings

GBAtemp Patron
    AtsuNii is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 20, 2018
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's bed
    I still want to know, my blood has been taken plenty of times but they never told me even though i keep on asking..

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Why do you want to know ?

That's so myth! LOL!

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Nov 4, 2018
  10. Jokey_Carrot
    This message by Jokey_Carrot has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Nov 4, 2018, Reason: Not the EoF.
    Nov 4, 2018
  11. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    If I recall correctly I'm O-, but it was years since I checked so my memory is a little fuzzy.

I do recall that the dog tags Swedish people used to get upon birth specifically said not to imprint your blood type though as that could endanger one's life if said imprint turns out to be wrong.

Swedish dog tag

12. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    AB+ The most selfish blood type. :)

NoNAND likes this.
  13. MrLucariox

MrLucariox GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2018
    Turkey
    I am O+
    In summers, the whole mosquito "tribes" in my local area take their needs from me that's why I wake up with
    multiple mosquito bites every day.

14. WilliG

WilliG GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Mine is A+

15. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I have absolutely no idea what my blood type is.

16. leafeon34

leafeon34 意地悪な男の人

Sep 30, 2014
    Japan
    Hiding up a cherry blossom
    No idea. The information is probably contained in my medical records somewhere but I haven't tried accessing it since I have no need to know.

NoNAND likes this.
  17. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I don't support blood donor anyway. Therefore, I have no idea what my blood type is, lol.

18. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Well, good and bad news:
    if you ever get marrow transplants, your blood type will change. So, use this thread to choose a blood type you want, kidnap them, give that person succ, and boom! new blood type for you.

bloodplus.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  19. KiiWii
    This message by KiiWii has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, May 31, 2019, Reason: Not EoF.
    May 30, 2019
  20. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What is the matter with donating or receiving blood? There are any number of illness and injuries that your recovery benefits massively from having blood and blood products infused into you. Maybe one day we will have superior artificial methods (they are getting there but it is taking a while, and the natural stuff/components thereof is still superior in a lot of cases) and screening can be tricky (modern protocols do exceptionally well here, even if they are a bit harsh in some things) but no great reason not oppose the concept as a whole.

21. Paolosworld

Paolosworld GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2019
    United States
    Amityville
    I got O- hell yeah

alexander1970 likes this.
  22. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    0+ - and I know that because my mom told me when I was much younger and I still remember that :)

23. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    A- I believe

alexander1970 likes this.