Do you go through Gaming Phases

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by chavosaur, Dec 11, 2014.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    So I've always considered myself kind of weird when it comes to games, in the sense that I have a hard time multitasking systems. What I mean by this, is typically, even when it comes to gaming handhelds and consoles, Ill only focus on one platform for gaming usually.

Take for example, I own an Xbox One, a Wii U, a 3DS, and a Vita.

I will never play any of these systems within the same day or sometimes even week. I go through these phases where I am like "Man, I wanna play my Xbox and touch nothing else." and vice versa for the other consoles. I don't particularly know why I do this, but it is something I have always done.

I go through the same thing with genre's or brands as well. Like right now, I am on a serious Nintendo kick, and have had this odd urge to go back and play through the wind waker on hero mode, play some pikmin 3, smash a bro, etc. My Xbox One hasn't been turned on in about a week now.

So I am honestly curious, does anyone else limit themselves to what they play, or go through phases of gaming, or are you an all around gamer that constantly is playing multiple platforms a day of various genres?

2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I do that as well. Sometimes I just have to play a RTS and load up StarCraft or Warcraft III. Other times I just want to sit down and play a top down Zelda game. My most recent one was wanting to go and play through Bastion again. I am not a good person to talk to when I'm on my shmups kick.

chavosaur likes this.
  3. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Actually, im completely opposite of that. I own a NES, PS1 Original Xbox, GBA, DS Lite, 3DS, Wii U, Wii, PS2 Fat, PS2 Slim. I play them all.

4. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It happens to me, but I am almost always in 3DS playing phase lately (because no time to play at home).
    Actually I should turn phases already and play some Wii U Super Smash, I hope I will have some time during holidays.
    It was way more evident before when I actually had time to play home, and I switched between exclusive console, handheld and PC phases.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I do go through phases, but they're related to specific content, not consoles. My more notable ones were "Finish Fallout 2 once every year" and "Play the Mass Effect trilogy all the way through back to back".

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Occasionally bone idleness will force my hand (you mean I have to get it out of the box, plug it into the TV and then play it, or I could just turn the current one on), however I have emulation these days for a lot of things so there is that.

To that end "big or small, I play it all".

7. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    That's how I mostly play games. I find a series, and binge through it. I've been playing Persona games almost exclusively. Occasionally, I'll go back to a series after a while, and replay my favorites in the franchise, like I did with Pokemon before ORAS released.

8. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    I get genre specific itches sometimes. For weeks on end I'll play various racing games, or fighting games as an example.

9. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    I try not to burn myself out on games. I don't get people that buy a ton of games, they never seem to get round to finishing them (see: everyones Steam library). I buy one main game to play (like right now, it's Bravely Default) and then have a few other mindless games on the go from when I want a break from it (Cave Story, Mario 3D Land, Sonic 3D).

Also playing through a series of games is a nope for me, like when I finished Persona 3 a couple years back I waited at least a year to play Persona 4. It's much more enjoyable then. Maybe a year is being a little excessive but whatever.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Pretty much what Fuxi said, I usually go through a phase of playing XYZ game/series rather than XYZ console.

Like now, 99% of my time spent gaming has been Dark Souls 1/2. I've started other games and have even enjoyed playing others (like Far Cry 4 or DA:I) but I'll only play them for like...a half hour then return to whatever I was doing in whatever Souls game. I'm addicted :sad:

chavosaur likes this.
  11. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I do play multiple games across different platforms. that being said if the main game I'm playing is a big RPG I tend to leave other games aside to have time to play and finish said RPG.
    right now my main game is Kingdom Hearts Final mix on PS3 and my secondary games are Pokemon OR on 3DS, Borderlands 2 on Vita and of course the occasional play of Project Diva, Smash, Mario Kart and the like(Senran Kagura Bon Appetit once I free space. fucking Vita cards). I was playing Strider on PS4 but paused in favor of Kingdom Hearts.
    I am one of those that buy more and more games without even have time to play them all. but my reason behind that is that many games I like to play are niche and if I don't grab them near the launch window most provably I'll never see them again. other reason is grab the limited editions.

12. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yes I do

Lego city , battle for bikini bottom and sonic adventure 2 are all games I get bugs for a lot and often make many campaigns in
    Also sometimes I get the bug for sports games like NCAA or NBA 2k
    Then other times its retro nes or SNES games